Replace filter or Grids?

RocketMyrr

Jun 8, 2020
New York
So I've only just moved into the house in September. I was able to run my de filtered pool last year with no problems whatsoever. Didn't get a lot of time with it at that time. Now here I am now at the beginning of the summertime and we had our pool opened by a company. Ever since we've opened I've been having problems where there's air getting into the pump basket and the pressure in the filter rises quickly with a decrease in return jet pressure. I've been back and forth with the company, after replacing a drain plug that was leaking a bit the company is now saying that I should replace and get a new sand filter. I've literally tried everything I can think of. I've backwashed/cleaned(didn't do an acid-wash/filter cleaner) the grids with hose taking apart the assembly, which helps for a very short time. I've checked to make sure there are no air leaks on any of the fittings. We've narrowed it down that its a problem with the filter as I've put it into bypass mode and there's not a single air bubble that gets into the pump. My filter is a Hayward DE2420. Its at least 13 years old, not sure of exact age. I'm trying not to replace the filter if I don't have to but it's looking that way. Can anyone give any guidance?

Welcome to the forum!
The majority of the time, the conditions you describe are because you have algae in the pool water.
Can you post your current test results from your own test kit?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

RM,

There is nothing inside the filter that can cause the pressure to increase and the flow to decrease except for the filter being dirty. It is almost always due to algae.. Just because your water is clear at the moment, does not mean you don't have algae.. Your CC level is more that 1 which is one of the indicators.

I suggest that you run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT).. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test And, yes, you will have to get up before the sun comes up... :mrgreen:

Algae can clog a DE filter in a few hours.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.