repairing a Jandy valve actuator

rhythm

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2008
Lake Forest, CA
I need to repair or replace one of my Jandy JVA 2444 valve actuators. From my observations so far, it appears that the motor runs but the 'toothed' shaft on which the plastic cams are mounted is not turning. So it appears that there's an issue with the coupling between the motor and the cam shaft. Repairable? Or will I need to replace the whole actuator?

Thanks,
Greg

Well, I was going to bother because it's $13-$14 as opposed to over $100, and I didn't think it would be too difficult since the kits are sold separately. Is taking the assembly apart, replacing the gears, and putting it back together something that is not advisable to try?

Thanks,
Greg

Fixed it today! Before buying anything I took the actuator assembly apart to check it out and see if the gears really were an issue. I noticed that the bottom of the plastic shaft was not engaged with the main gear that is supposed to turn it. It was underneath it, which is what happens when you push it down to move the valve manually. Evidently it must not have been pulled back up enough the last time I manually moved the valve, and it had slipped back down underneath the gear. Putting it back together took just a bit of doing, but was not a real big deal. (But as Bama Rambler said, paying attention to how it's put together when you're taking it apart is important!).

One nice thing about the experience is that I'm now very familiar with how these things are designed and how they work!

Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.