Repair or Replace? Hayward pump ran dry

lordewoks

Jun 25, 2021
New Jersey
Hello all,

I have a Hayward pump (1HP SuperMax I think?) for my in ground salt pool. The pump ran dry at the end of summer 2021 while we were away on vacation, so I don’t know how long it had been running. I figured I’d worry about it next spring. I did not open the pool all of 2022 because the amount of traveling made it not worth it to open. So I’m here now in 2023 and the family wants the pool open. Should I try to diagnose and repair the pump after 2 years? The pump was already in use in 2011 so it’s at least 10 years old. If I do replace, a new Hayward (same model?) is pretty expensive, couple hundreds of $$$. Other, less established brands on Amazon are much more cost effective.

Thoughts?

On a related note, the pool water hasn’t circulated in 2 years. Should I dump it all out and refill fresh? Or try to shock it into oblivion?

Last edited:
Doesn't hurt to put in some elbow grease to try and resurrect it. If it works, then you're solid!

Do you have automation or want one in the future? If not, can't beat this pump for $519 especially if you're already shopping less established brands on Amazon. I own one and it's working great so far.

Should I dump it all out and refill fresh? Or try to shock it into oblivion?
I would test the water. Do you have a test kit? Recommend that you fill out your signature with your equipment that way it's easier to help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.