Removing the weir

Apr 28, 2015
herndon, va
Hi,

We are going on vacation and I want to leave the pump running, but don’t want to risk the slimmer basket filling with leaves and the motor burning out. Can you remove the weir and leave the pump running? Does that impact the system (other than stop the skimming of leaves?)

thanks

Rich,

I am not sure that would help much, if at all..

I suggest that you make some kind of box/screen in front of your skimmer, that will stop the leaves, but still let water in.. I've seen several pic here where people did that, but can't remember who did it.. Let me see what I can find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The weir door being removed does not stop the skimming of the water. It reduces its effectiveness, that is for sure. Without the door, when the pump turns off, some of the material in the skimmer basket can float out of the skimmer area.

Can you fill out your signature? Pool type, volume, equipment, etc really helps us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.