Removing Aquarite flow sensor without destroying it. Video

Or make the magnet convex in shape rather than cylindrical. That might help too. It obviously isn’t a big issue or there would be more chatter about it. Either way, how many people have twisted that thing out while in the process of trouble shooting and said “wow, there is a piece broken off, time to replace” and unbeknownst to them, they just broke it.

And why are these things $50 online in the USA and in Canada the cheapest I’ve found was $159 before tax. Lol.

I don't think that the T that you have is the original Hayward. The Hayward T has an arrow on the side. It might be the depth of the threads that is different.

Also, on some non-Hayward Ts, the hole at the bottom is smaller and sometimes you have to drill it out to even make it go in.

On the Hayward T, you can unscrew the switch before the magnet hits the bottom lip. Then, you can push in the tab if needed to remove the switch.

I can see where you had a problem with your parts, but I know that in most cases, it's not an issue.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the original Hayward Tee comes with an arrow sticker. Google GLX-FLO-T for pictures.

If it didn't have the sticker, I would question whether it was a genuine Hayward.

In any case, I can see where you had an issue but I know that with a Hayward Tee, the switch can be removed without damage and without access to the inside.

Watch the Inyo video again.

You can see, before they cut away, they can completely unscrew the switch and lift it up enough to see the stainless steel tab. That means that you can push in the tab if necessary.

Also, note that you can see the arrow sticker on the side of the Tee, indicating that it's an original Hayward Tee.

Last edited:
Lol. Buddy, you are not letting this go are you. The one that broke the sensor came with my salt cell. The one on the video came in Hayward packaging. I also have a third that came with new sensor. It is also Hayward. They are all Hayward. They are all the same. Whether they all have a directional sticker or not. Want me to do a video of the Hayward packaging?

No cutaway and notice the arrow sticker on the Tee. Three different how-to videos and no mention of any issue unscrewing the switch. If it were an issue, why wouldn't they mention it? What motive would they have to hide it? In my opinion, if the Tee doesn't have the arrow sticker, it's not original Hayward.

Last edited:
Don’t know why you are so vigorously defending Hayward on this. How much evidence do you need? I posted to help people. Then removed the video because you made me feel like I was doing a disservice. Then you asked for the video back. Only to refute it again.
Delete the thread if you are convinced that my information is worthless. I have wasted too much of my personal time on this.

I appreciate that you shared your experience with everyone. I think it can be helpful.

The only issue that I have is your claim that the switch cannot be replaced without access to the inside or without damaging it.

I have seen plenty of people post about replacing the flow switch, and I can't recall a single time where anyone ever said that they had an issue removing it.

If you can find a post where someone had a problem replacing the flow switch, I would be interested in seeing it.

Alright boys, settle down. :laughblue: I can see both of your sides no problem, and YES this thread is important. Like I said, if it saves a handful of people from damaging the sensor, job well done.

My spider senses are tingling. I have a feeling Hayward changed their supplier of those T’s and have yet to discover the problem. Chris, out of curiosity, how old is that cell and original T?

The vertical threaded part of the "T" in the original video looks longer than the "T"'s I've seen.
I just unscrew it and curl a finger in and pull the magnet back to the post and it comes right out.
The "funnel" design sounds best, get a patent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I installed my AquaRite I was thinking the exact same thing as the OP, there is no way possible to remove the flow switch in my setup without the magnet coming off. I installed it down stream of the cell and there isn't any access to the magnet. I know when I have to replace mine I will have to remove one of the valve guts and catch the magnet when I flush the line.

Rob. I purchased the Aquarite system about 15 months ago. It came with everything required to install including the tee with factory installed flow sensor.

So that’s what I was thinking. I guarantee prior to that time, they changed suppliers, and the new T is different then what James and others have seen/delt with.

Last edited:
There are 3 tutorial videos linked in this thread. The first 2 vids, the tees look the same as mine (neck same length) and in both vids there is "missing footage". lol. The 3rd video..... Well, can't even see what is happening on that. Watched on my phone earlier and now on my 27" Mac. lol. Still can't see. So, I have not seen a single video with that sensor being successfully removed intact. Conspiracy? lol.

So that’s what I was thinking. I guarantee prior to that time, they changed suppliers, and the new T is different then what James and others have seen/delt with.

Edited for correction.

There are 3 tutorial videos linked in this thread. The first 2 vids, the tees look the same as mine (neck same length) and in both vids there is "missing footage". lol. The 3rd video..... Well, can't even see what is happening on that. Watched on my phone earlier and now on my 27" Mac. lol. Still can't see. So, I have not seen a single video with that sensor being successfully removed intact. Conspiracy? lol.

You’re right, I shouldn’t have used the videos as a timeline. I edited my original response to say what I ment in my head. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.