Intellichlor IC40 - Replace?

Yep, use the new IC40 while its warranty is active. Then try the old one when it's warmer out. Also, hang on to it, even if you determine for sure it's done. The weakest link in an IC is its flow switch / temp sensor combo. That could be defective, but if it's not, it'll make a good back part for your new IC.
Agree 100% Dirk. I've got the old one in the box from the new one and sitting in the shop. I wired the original Flow/Temp sensor back in (since it was not the issue causing my problem). From the whole experience, since I bought 2 new flow/temp sensors, I should have 3 backup temp/flow sensors now (including the one in the original IC40). And as you suggested (as a backup), I think the old IC40 still has some life in it... but only when temps are warmer.

Reactions: Dirk
Oh, I missed the part where you already tried to replace the sensor. Cool, backups to backups.

I have an old IC in its box, in my garage. It can still make chlorine, but lost some of the comms to my EasyTouch (another known issue). Pentair replaced it, by mail, but never asked for the old one back (which is how I know its a known issue). So I've been using the new one, and will switch back to the old one when the new one nears end-of-life. But I'll try to catch it before it's completely dead, so that the new one will go into the box and become the backup for the old one.

And then repeat all that with the third one some day, so that I'll always have two on site. The newest online, using up it's warranty, and the previous one with just enough juice left to work as a back up should the "primary" ever fail. The backup stepping in while I await a replacement. Followin' all that?!

Musical SWGs! That's how much I don't want to be without my SWG!!!

I just have to remember to do the cell-life test every so often, so I know when to switch 'em out (I made a calendar reminder for that).

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
I tightened it up a little, is that pretty complete Gene or are there other things I should include too? Thanks for the suggestions.
Thanks - that looks good. Having the filter size and test kit info is important.

The cartridge filter is 150 sq. ft. - Probably normal by Florida standard for a pool your size, undersized for the rest of us.
For some reason, Florida pool builders use dinky sized filters. If you ever replace it, consider getting one in the 300-450 sq. ft. range.

Reactions: 1000RR
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.