Removing Aquarite flow sensor without destroying it. Video

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
People replace them all the time by just unscrewing them. I don't know why you had a problem, but it's usually not an issue.

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
If people are replacing them, then they are not working. In which case, destroying them upon removal is not such a big deal. My video is pointed towards removing and reusing. Not physically possible to remove without destroying if you don’t have access to the inside of the pipe.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
You should be able to unscrew the switch before the tab hits the lip of the hole. That should allow you to push in the tab so that you can remove the switch without damaging it. People remove them all the time without damaging them.

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
Lol. Not possible. Positively not possible. If you don’t think the video is of value, I will remove. Or post of video showing one removed without access to the inside. I would really like to see that.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
People remove them all the time without having access to the inside of the pipe. You're the first person that I have ever heard of that had an issue.

Reactions: uxbridgechris

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
Yep. Watched that video a few days ago. They cut the tape just as they were about to pull the old one out. Then voila. It’s out but it’s not the same one because the one they tried to take Out fell apart. Cheers.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
If there was an issue with removing the flow sensor, why would the how-to video people try to hide that?

Wouldn't they want to address it if it were something that was going to be a problem.

Post your video so people can see what you're saying is the problem. Let's see if anyone else can confirm that they had the same problem.

I can see how it can get caught, but I don't think that it's something most people have a problem with.

For anyone who has replaced a flow switch, please say if you had any problems doing it.

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
Don’t have video at work so cannot repost. It was deleted. So, if the “tee” is close to the cell, you could absolutely pull the cell to manipulate the sensor from inside enough to remove with destroying. Reason I made the video in the first place was to show people that it is virtually impossible to remove sensor without destroying it. Unless there is a trick that I couldn’t figure out. Kinda funny, those 2 videos linked in this thread cut the video at the same time. Anyway. Wonder how many people have unscrewed the sensor to troubleshoot only to notice the magnet was broken off, not realizing the magnet broke off upon removal not at some point in the past.

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
Ahhh, I see Chris. So in your setup, (I didn’t see the video) your flow switch is not close to the cell, so you had no way of getting to the sensor to squeeze it to make it through the opening.?.

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
The thing was, I just expected it to twist out. Didn’t know it grabbed the inside like a fish hook. If I knew that before hand, I could have accessed from the inside and saved myself $200. This is the whole point of my thread. Saving someone else the same expense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
Got it. Yeah definitely post up that video when you get a chance, even if it only saves a handful of people from the same fate, it’s worth it!!
:cheers:

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
Video added.

Knowing what I know now, if this was a new installation. Or if I installed these things for a living I would make this more serviceable. I would toss the Hayward tee in the trash. I would get a 2” slip x2” slip x 1” threaded tee. I would then use a 1/2” x 1” npt reducer. Then thread the sensor into the reducer. When I need to check the sensor for trouble shooting, I would twist out the reducer bushing with sensor attached. This would work providing the sensor was long enough to make up for the extra length of reducer bushing.

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
So, after watching video, you took that sensor out, without knowing it would do that.
I would think they would make that “T” with a tapered hole on the inside, (sort of like an upside down funnel) so that magnet wouldn’t get hung up.

Other Threads of Interest