Sep 22, 2022
San Diego
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning ☺
Can you help me better understand the plumbing mechanics of the pool? One morning when the pump first turned on it was sucking air because the weir was stuck (it was too wide on one side and had got stuck in the upright position. I have since removed the weir and filed that side down about 1/4" so.it no longer rubs the inside) I mentioned having this worry when we are gone in vacation for one week to my old poolman. He said I could just remove the weir. I did that for 5 days and started getting a lot of mosquitoes. I read the second hole in the skimmer is an equalizer so that if the water gets too low the pump wont run dry. So, why did my pump suck air when it first turned on? Should I take my weir off in case it gets stuck again? P.S..I have thought about using the main drain only but it still seems to pull from skimmer a little. Is that normal?

Welcome to TFP.

Your skimmers need the weir door to do its skimming function. The weir door is what causes the debris on the surface of the water to be captured by the skimmer.

Some builders do not properly connect what you think is the equalizer in your skimmer.

Is your main drain plumbed directly to your pool pad?

Post pics of your equipment pad and your skimmer(s).

Good morning ☺
Can you help me better understand the plumbing mechanics of the pool? One morning when the pump first turned on it was sucking air because the weir was stuck (it was too wide on one side and had got stuck in the upright position. I have since removed the weir and filed that side down about 1/4" so.it no longer rubs the inside) I mentioned having this worry when we are gone in vacation for one week to my old poolman. He said I could just remove the weir. I did that for 5 days and started getting a lot of mosquitoes. I read the second hole in the skimmer is an equalizer so that if the water gets too low the pump wont run dry. So, why did my pump suck air when it first turned on? Should I take my weir off in case it gets stuck again? P.S..I have thought about using the main drain only but it still seems to pull from skimmer a little. Is that normal?

Attachments

• 20220922_093312.jpg
    20220922_093312.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220922_093319.jpg
    20220922_093319.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220922_093332.jpg
    20220922_093332.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220922_093358.jpg
    20220922_093358.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220922_093404.jpg
    20220922_093404.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220922_093413.jpg
    20220922_093413.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220922_093424.jpg
    20220922_093424.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 15
I am pretty sure the main drain works because I closed the diverter and brushed some small debris over the main drain and it sucked it thru. I am aware that I need the weir for proper skimming action..just concerned since the weir stayed upright and it sucked air. What if some debris caught the weir, while on vacation. What the pump run dry? So, maybe what old poolman said "just take the weir out" ?🤔

It looks like you have a VS pump, I think they can detect when running dry and shutdown.

It looks like you have a VS pump, I think they can detect when running dry and shutdown.

Attachments

• 20220922_095833.jpg
    20220922_095833.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220922_095824.jpg
    20220922_095824.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 7
In the photos you posted, what you had in your hand is the float valve. Extract below from post by another member.

In the event that the pool water level drops to a level that can no longer supply the skimmer/pump with enough water, your float valve will drop and seal a pathway between the two holes. That will force the pump to draw its water from the forward hole in the skimmer, either the main drain (in the case of a single skimmer), or the equalizer, thus preventing a loss of prime. You can check the operation of this by lifting the weir, preventing water from entering the skimmer, and confirm that the float valve drops and seals. You will know if this happens because the skimmer will fill back up and you will observe no action in the skimmer. You should only hear a brief "slurp" before the float drops. If the slurp goes on for several seconds, your valve is not sealing, and you may loose prime.

In the photos you posted, what you had in your hand is the float valve. Extract below from post by another member.
Thank you for that great explanation. I had done this myself not looking for the slurp noise. It did exactly what it was supposed to. The pump did not lose prime, the water did fill back up in the skimmer with no skimmer action. Then the only explanation maybe was the float was not seated completely I guess as to why it sucked air that morning when the weir was stuck. Since I have a single speed motor does that mean this pump would run dry ? I dont know how old this pump is. It was here when we moved in about 5 years ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say why it didn't work previously. Sometimes the float valve assembly may not sit flush on the bottom or that the o-ring inside it may need replacing.

With regards to your existing pump motor, you should consider swapping it out with something like a V-Green 165 variable speed motor. Use the calculator below to determine how long it would take to break even.

Hard to say why it didn't work previously. Sometimes the float valve assembly may not sit flush on the bottom or that the o-ring inside it may need replacing.

With regards to your existing pump motor, you should consider swapping it out with something like a V-Green 165 variable speed motor. Use the calculator below to determine how long it would take to break even.

Thank you. I was just at the pool store they didn't have any o-rings replacement for the floater valve. I am going to check the o-ring. The pump brings me to my next question..(maybe this warrants a new thread) my filter pressure has remained at 10 psi all summer long. Is this an indication that the pump is going out? The pump seems ok. Knock on wood! TIA

Regarding the 10 psi question. Does the needle on the gauge rest at "0" when the pump is off in order to be sure the reading is correct. When was the last time the filter was cleaned or do you know what the clean pressure reading is after a cleaning.

Regarding the 10 psi question. Does the needle on the gauge rest at "0" when the pump is off in order to be sure the reading is correct. When was the last time the filter was cleaned or do you know what the clean pressure reading is after a cleaning.
Yes. The pressure goes down to zero when the filter is shut off. It was at 8 psi earlier this past Spring. The pool was resurfaced spring 2021, and that's when the pool filter was cleaned. We clean it when the pressure is in the range it says needs cleaning. Here is a photo. Oh incidentally, the filter is about 5 years old.

Attachments

• 16638789987412541910533277642517.jpg
    16638789987412541910533277642517.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
P.S. regarding the o-ring on the floater valve. It looks good to me! It is in the right place and has some life left in it! Meaning inside the floater the smaller o-ring is still round not flat. The floater fits in the larger o-ring on the bottom good. I don't think I need a new one.

Reactions: guinness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.