Removal of scale buildup in heat exchanger.

BG Woller

Jul 13, 2019
Michigan
First off let me say I wasn't sure where to post this. If it's the wrong place, my apologies. Secondly, I know the answer is out there somewhere but I can't find it :(
My problem is a buildup of scale inside my heat exchanger tubes that I want to remove and I'm looking for the best most efficient way. My tubes are 5/8 inch thick and 3 of them have such a buildup that only 3/8ths inch are open. Now I've read that you can run a carbide bit through them to clear out the crud but I'm concerned that it would damage the insides. My other though is to block of one side of the manifold tubes with cork's and than replace the opposit side cover UPSIDE DOWN and fill it with vinegar. Again, I don't know if the acid in the vinegar will damage the tubes. Can I use the drill bit idea but use a hand drill with 1/2 inch bit first before graduating to a 5/8 inch bit followed by a wire brush bit to knock off the remaining scale? I don't want to use an electric drill so as to avoid possible damage. Or would I be better off with the vinegar idea?

Here is a recent discussion on descaling a Pentair heater...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.