Red color of chlorine!!

If you are using the FAS-DPD (powder & drops) to test your FC and the solution is still a bright Barbie pink color, then your FC must be quite high. Have you turned off your chlorinator so that the FC can begin to fall down?
Ok, some more info. Chlorinator 80% and a lot of calsium blocking. Salt 3.2. I have put in a "puck" of chlorin when the earlier one just gone. I do that because I think that should keep black algeas away. Some months ago I slammed the pool several times. I have had black algeas about 2 year.
So I should set the chlorinator to 0 zero now?

If you are currently trying to kill algae, then it makes sense the FC will be elevated. The FC should be at the correct SLAM FC level based on your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. So you go to the SLAM tab, find your CYA first, then find the FC level you should be at for the SLAM Process. If your FC is higher than that SLAM FC level, then yes, you should reduce the amount of chlorine produced.

If you are currently trying to kill algae, then it makes sense the FC will be elevated. The FC should be at the correct SLAM FC level based on your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. So you go to the SLAM tab, find your CYA first, then find the FC level you should be at for the SLAM Process. If your FC is higher than that SLAM FC level, then yes, you should reduce the amount of chlorine produced.

My idea was not to kill algae, it was to hold FC high about 5, to stop algae to start to grow.. I am surprised that FC can be so high when salinity is low, chlorinator only 80% and a lot of calcium clogged in the chlorinator. But it seems that the chlorine pucks gives a lot.
It looks like I should take out the puck some days.

Why two scoops? According to the instructions, and this video, it should only be one scoop of R-0870. Not sure what 2 scoops will do to the test results, but curious what the test result would be if you used one scoop...
It’s a ‘heaping’ scoop. Some do 2 level scoops and others make a powder snowball instead. Any extra doesn’t mix and stays grainy in the vial and shouldn’t affect the testing.

Now that we are on the topic, it’s a great way to learn how much is enough, as ‘heaping’ is mighty subjective. Add each time a little different and once there are one or two grains swirling around, it’s perfect and keep adding that much going forward. (y)

I agree, "heaping" is mighty subjective, but if you look at that video, that would seem a bit less "heaping" to me.
1628706244512.png

But, either way, if two scoops, or one small scoop, or a "heaping" scoop does not change the test method, then we continue on towards the OP's question. Just wanted to clarify the test and if it mattered.

Reactions: borjis and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.