Recommendations for a good ABP to bury two feet in the ground...

mgmercurio

Jun 22, 2020
Louisville, Kentucky
I have a very flat long (as long as a football field) and wide yard. I am wanting to buy an AGP and bury it just two feet in the ground and then build a deck/paver patio all the way around. Tis is depicted in my mock up drawing I did on my computer of the intial design of my yard...

Anyway, I am currently looking at a Lomart (made by Doughboy) Whispering WInd II as they say it can be buried right up to the rails if desired. However, I have also heard AquaSport52, Radiant, and Aqua-Bois are the top shelf pools to do this sort of install with....

So I am turning to the pros and experts and experienced users here to get your thoughts and recommendations? Which pool would you use?

Also...if you have any recommendations on a dealer to use..I would appreciate that as well. I am having an extremely hard time just getting a dealer to return my call just to give me a price. I am standing here with cash in my hand asking for someone to call me back so I can give them my money...and I can't even get a response :(

Any advice?

Thanks again,
Matt
Louisville, KY

Attachments

• pool-patio1.jpg
    pool-patio1.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Mdragger88
Beautiful design!
Not sure about all those brands but doughboy & radiant are thought of highly & supposed to be great pools with good warranty /customer service. If they say they can be buried a certain amount then it should be fine. This covid has made pools hard to come by (panic pool buying) so that may be the reason for your troubles.
I’m sure someone will be along soon who has some experience with these particular pools.
Are you planning on doing the work yourself?
I have a 33’ Round mighty sun pool That states it can be buried up to 27”. I have it buried in a slope on one side. It was installed last year by a national “leisure” chain as I didn’t feel comfortable enough doing it all myself after experiencing the leveling disaster with my 16’ intex pool (Had to drain it twice)🤦‍♀️.
We did our own deck though.

Reactions: mgmercurio
I just finished installing a doughboy 24' Palm Shore AGP. It is rated for full burial. We opted not to bury but there is a 10 inch slope where the pools sits so I felt comfortable back filling the high side with screened fill. Could not be happier with the pool. Also read as much as you can on this site about maintaining your pool. I struggled for years to maintain my old Intex seasonal pool with test trips and pool store chems. I've used TFP method and Pool Math App with my new pool and cannot believe how clear and clean the pool is. This site and it's knowelgeable contributors are a god send for those of us who struggled with the mysteries of pool maintenance. Good luck.

Beautiful design!
Not sure about all those brands but doughboy & radiant are thought of highly & supposed to be great pools with good warranty /customer service. If they say they can be buried a certain amount then it should be fine. This covid has made pools hard to come by (panic pool buying) so that may be the reason for your troubles.
I’m sure someone will be along soon who has some experience with these particular pools.
Are you planning on doing the work yourself?
I have a 33’ Round mighty sun pool That states it can be buried up to 27”. I have it buried in a slope on one side. It was installed last year by a national “leisure” chain as I didn’t feel comfortable enough doing it all myself after experiencing the leveling disaster with my 16’ intex pool (Had to drain it twice)🤦‍♀️.
We did our own deck though.
Thanks for the kind words...Yep doing the work myself...but I am going to hire an excavator with pool skill and knowledge to do the dig. I am not needing a deep end or anything extravagant...just a simple 21x33x2'6" level hole...so hopefully, a good excavator will make short work of that. ;) The only part of the dig that makes me scratch my head is...because my site is extremely flat...I don't know how Im going to install a french drain under the slurry and run it to daylight....I may have to also install a sump pump apparatus somewhere in proximity.

It is really the deck building that I am worried about. I am an old union plumber which has worked on many commercial projects, so I am very familiar with the use of blueprints, staking, laser levels and working a grade until it is just right...but I suck at carpentry and deck building kinda scare me... heh heh

I did find one dealer and he seems to be knowledgable, reasonably priced, and trustworthy ...so Im hoping it will work out...

Reactions: Mdragger88
We watched alot of youtube to get ideas for building our deck. I am a retired (due to motherhood) union electrician & my husband is a union pipefitter. We also had the help of his dad who’s pretty good with carpentry. Our deck isn’t perfect but it’s not going anywhere lol 😂! You’ll do fine! I am just lucky mine isn’t welded iron pipe like everything else my husband builds around the house 🤣 When he builds something it’s stout! He told me he’s a pipefitter not a pool man so I better pay to have it dug & installed. The price was right so off we went.
When build time comes there are alot of threads on here to guide you!
Have a good test kit readyTest Kits Compared for when fill time comes & read up in pool school so you start out on the right track 😊

We watched alot of youtube to get ideas for building our deck. I am a retired (due to motherhood) union electrician & my husband is a union pipefitter. We also had the help of his dad who’s pretty good with carpentry. Our deck isn’t perfect but it’s not going anywhere lol 😂! You’ll do fine! I am just lucky mine isn’t welded iron pipe like everything else my husband builds around the house 🤣 When he builds something it’s stout! He told me he’s a pipefitter not a pool man so I better pay to have it dug & installed. The price was right so off we went.
When build time comes there are alot of threads on here to guide you!
Have a good test kit readyTest Kits Compared for when fill time comes & read up in pool school so you start out on the right track 😊
Thanks for the advice! Will definitely get my butt into pool school ;) Nice to hear from some fellow construction crew members. I am going to need an electrician when I run wiring out to the pool, pump, lights, outlets, and sump pump ;) Being an old union plumber, I have always said...Electricity scares the Crud out of me...because in other trades...Water you can see, Gas you can smell, but you don't knoe electricity is there until it is on you!! heh heh So kudos and respect to you ;) Shout out to your husband...what local is he in? I was an active member of Plumbers Local 107 for many years and we always had our local competition with the pipefitters (local 522) here in Louisville. Then some years ago after I moved onto another career, they merged into one local - Plumbers/Pipefitters Local 502. I moved into computers and technology which evolved into sales. Now I sell enterprise connectivity solutions to Government and Education facilities (k-12 and Higher Ed) in the state of Kentucky. It is a definite change and I often tell my buds "I miss the mud" when I speak about my construction days ..... ;)

At least I can test to see if something is hot- its kinda like a gun though - respect it & always assume it’s loaded (hot).
On the other hand plumbing has always scared me - i have an unrealistic fear of water shooting out everywhere & not being able to turn it off 🤣
My husband is Local 614 & i’m ibew 474 all out of Memphis.
We started 20 years ago. Both did some auto mechanics certs & then changed over to the trades apprenticeships because @ the time the big automakers programs didn’t pay you while u were in school.
When you’re ready for your install be sure to know what codes your local municipality has adopted (although the newest N.E.C. pretty much covers everything) some require more/less than others. To be sure you’re electrician does everything necessary & it’s as safe as possible.
5E5D99A5-BB51-4DC7-85AE-6D9A5CB6D88A.jpeg
If u need help along the way TFP will be here for u! Happy pooling !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.