Recommendation for CYA

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
0de4a777c212275c619bfe7dc9e792a4.jpg

What is THE recommended CYA - 30? I always see the range. I'm guessing 30 is optimal, but at 50+ , the only concern is you would save some money on chlorine if you would drain some and and correct?

The correct CYA depends on your pool, location, climate, season, etc. It gets hot there in the summer, so you may find that a CYA of 50 +/- 10 works better for you in the summer. In the winter you may do fine with a much lower CYA because the sun/heat are not as intense. Your FC loss will help you judge that. Of course when we keep CYA higher, it does mean more bleach if we had to SLAM, but we hope to avoid that by maintaining our target FC 24/7. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Tim listed the Chlorine/CYA Chart link. If you're on a mobile device, sometimes they have problems seeing links. I have that same link in my sig below.

I'm finding that each day this week the FC is dropping from my goal of three to .5 or 1. That has been with some swimmers (it's cold- maybe 4 for 60-90 mins). I rechecked by CYA today and think it is lower than originally thought. I think it's probably 30, maybe 20-25 for that dot to totally cloud over, so I wanted to be cautious about how much more to add.
0e7981c62ffca20008a0270ce78c593c.jpg

Well, you must get an accurate CYA reading for sure. But you can't test it indoors. You must be outside on a sunny day, sun at your back. That's a must. So try that again tomorrow and if needed, pour the solution back & forth and re-try the test as much as you need to. The CYA is the foundation of the proper FC level, not the other way around. And if you suspect the CYA is below 30, it "may" actually be much lower since those tubes only go down so far in numbers.

As for FC loss, if you are experiencing an FC loss of more than 4 ppm in a 24 hr period, algae is suspect .... or there's not enough CYA to protect your FC during the day. You can always do an overnight (OCLT) test to rule-out the algae, then you know it's just a matter of increasing CYA to at least 30, maybe even 40 in your area as it warms-up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.