Fresh Fill

jonandmel

Jun 16, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi there! I had to do a fresh fill (long story) about three weeks ago. Here is where I'm at after three weeks. (the only thing I've added so far was a gallon on liquid CYA at fill and then another 8 oz of granular CYA about a week ago along with some salt (of course) and some liquid gold to get started)

FC 6
CC 0
TA 150
PH 8.4
CH 50
Salt 3200
CYA 30

Should I wait until I get the CYA level right before adding anything else? My pool is shaded about 70% of the day.

(I'm aiming for a CYA of 70 based on "

What are the Correct CYA Levels for an Outdoor Pool?​

The recommended levels of CYA depend on the way the pool is chlorinated.

A CYA level of 30-50 is recommended when chlorinating with liquid chlorine. Pools in hot areas with intense sunlight can benefit from higher CYA levels to offset the degradation described below.

Salt Water chlorine Generation (SWG) pools seem to require a higher level of CYA, about 70-80 ppm, to operate efficiently. The theory is that the CYA is slow to "store" the chlorine as it is being generated so without enough CYA there is a build-up of chlorine that degrades the performance of the salt cell.[4]"

Thanks!

Is your SWG running or is your water too cold?

If you are chlorinating with liquid chlorine then raise your CYA to 50.

If your SWG is running then raise your CYA to 70.

More details in your signature would be appreciated. What type of pool do you have?

Your CH may be low depending on type of pool.

Your pH is high and should be lowered into the 7's.

Type of pool - plaster? finish? vinyl? fiberglass?

Make & model & HP of pump