Recent pool owner with algae problems in Phoenix AZ

I also want to ask about my large haywood sand filter. I have had the sand replaced but every time I do a back wash which I do for a good 5minutes when I redirect it to the pool all the debris seems to make the pool so cloudy you cant see the bottom. Isnt the debris supposed to go out the through the backwash pipe?

In your first post, you indicate you added 2 gallons of acid. What was the acid percentage - 31.45% or 14.5%?
That's a lot of acid (for either percentage).

I recommend you go to Walmart and purchase the Chlorox 3 way test kit while you are waiting for one of the recommended test kits to arrive. You need the drop test instead of the worthless test strips.

Chances are you may have an extremely low pH after that acid addition, which will cause harm to the pool and pool equipment. This needs to be corrected - but you need a reliable way to test the pH.

I also want to ask about my large haywood sand filter. I have had the sand replaced but every time I do a back wash which I do for a good 5minutes when I redirect it to the pool all the debris seems to make the pool so cloudy you cant see the bottom. Isnt the debris supposed to go out the through the backwash pipe?
Fill out your signature as requested in post #18 - and post a few picks of your equipment pad and pool - so we know what you are working with.

I bought 8 gallons of LC and I raised the pH some. The 2 gallons of Muriatic Acid I added was 14.5%. I had not added any for 2 months.
I read that A rule of thumb says that you should add 1 gallon of muriatic acid per 10,000 gallons of pool water. It will lower the pH by about 0.5 points and raise the TA by about 0.5 points (if you do it slowly). So two gallons reduced pH by 1. Phoenix water is extremely hard and we get much dust storms and leaves also, so that is why I thought it necessary. I have added this much MA in the past also.

This is the sand filter which I am having trouble backwashing. Most of the filtered debris ends up back in the pool after a backwash.
I just cannot get the pictures to show up in my signature, tried everything. I guess they are still working on this sw..

Attachments

• 100_1986a.JPG
    100_1986a.JPG
    441 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_1985a.JPG
    100_1985a.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Do you turn the valve to Rinse and wait until the water runs clear before turning back to Filter? If not, all the suspended debris inside the filter is getting sent back to the pool.

I read that A rule of thumb says that you should add 1 gallon of muriatic acid per 10,000 gallons of pool water. It will lower the pH by about 0.5 points and raise the TA by about 0.5 points (if you do it slowly). So two gallons reduced pH by 1. Phoenix water is extremely hard and we get much dust storms and leaves also, so that is why I thought it necessary. I have added this much MA in the past also.

Wherever you read that, it is complete and utter nonsense. Muriatic acid, in fact any acid, LOWERS TA always. And the reduction in pH is a complex function of the starting pH levels and TA. There is no “rule of thumb” when it comes to lowering pH. It has to be calculated which is why PoolMath is such an important tool to have.

Based on the volume of acid you added, you lowered TA by 63ppm. Depending on what your starting TA was you may or may not have zero’ed out your TA. Yes, Arizona water is hard and high in alkalinity but it is very manageable and does not require a lot of acid use if you keep the water balanced.

This is the link:
If you have it what does the PoolMath app give with a starting pH of 7.8?

The Phoenix tap water is pH 7.6 to 8.4 and the total hardness of the tap water is 280. The pool hardness is over 700 due to evaporation!

I still need help with the backwash issue if anyone can think of anything.

Last edited:
If you have it what does the PoolMath app give with a starting pH of 7.8?

I still need help with the backwash issue if anyone can think of anything.
You can find the old PoolMath webpage at the bottom of the forum pages and do the calculations. The link is here -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added the pictures a few messages earlier.

I will use that app when I have a few weeks free time! I question whether such precision is needed especially when I am only one monsoon storm away from a total pool catastrophe!
The Phoenix tap water is pH 7.6 to 8.4 and the total hardness of the tap water is 280. The pool hardness is over 700 due to evaporation! No precision is possible with so many uncertainties.

Last edited:
I will use that app when I have a few weeks free time!
Only a few minutes are needed.
I question whether such precision is needed especially when I am only one monsoon storm away from a total pool catastrophe!
Only needed if you care about your pool surface, equipment, and water quality/clarity.
The Phoenix tap water is pH 7.6 to 8.4 and the total hardness of the tap water is 280. The pool hardness is over 700 due to evaporation! No precision is possible with so many uncertainties.
PoolMath app takes all those uncertainties and calculates exactly what you need to add after you enter each of the results from your daily testing using the previously recommended test kits.

I am sure it is fast if you know it. I looked at it and thought where are the instructions and then decided it wasn't worth the time.
The pool actually looks great now but we have a storm coming tonight which likely dump another pile of desert dust. Not sure how to compensate for that either.

Anyway, what I really want help with next is the sand filter backwash issue. I am using it less and less because it REALLY messes up the pool. I will probably wait until the end of season before I use it again as a result..

Last edited:
About your sand filter, it has been asked… are you doing RINSE after your backwash? Usually you do a backwash, then a RINSE, before you put it back filter. You mention backwash but have not said whether or not you are rinsing after the backwash.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I am sure it is fast if you know it. I looked at it and thought where are the instructions and then decided it wasn't worth the time.
Here are some instructions posted a bit over 2 years ago. The app has likely been updated some since but this should get you started.

I added the pictures a few messages earlier.

I will use that app when I have a few weeks free time! I question whether such precision is needed especially when I am only one monsoon storm away from a total pool catastrophe!

Lack of precision and reliance on "rules of thumb" is exactly why pools turn cloudy, green, and "are only one monsoon away from disaster". I can tell you for certain that Tucson water is no different, and in some areas worse, than Phoenix water AND our monsoon season is longer and dumps more water and "junk" into pools. I never get cloudy water and I have never had a green swimming pool. When the monsoon rains hit or dust storms blow through, it has precisely zero impact on my pool. And the reason for that is not blind luck but rather that I treat my pool with precision and care ... It's not at all hard to do. Pool stores and service companies want you to believe that pools are hard because it's in their financial interest to do so. People that own pools tell tall-tales about "algae season" and "pools are just expensive money pits", etc, etc. and all of that is nonsense.

The TFP Method of pool care is simple - test the water yourself and know exactly what to add to your pool and when. TFP provides the methodology for doing this as well as the tools to make the calculations simple. Test kits are easily available online. You are the only one that will care enough about your pool to do the job right and so it is in your best interest to do it yourself.

As for your filter issue - at no point during a backwash should any of the discharge water be going back into your pool. If you put the handle in backwash position, then the water should come out of the backwash line. Once the water runs clear, you turn the pump off and reset the valve to filter mode. Then you turn the pump on again. You should never operate the slide valve with the pump running or else you risk blowing backwash water into your pool.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.