Reasonable cost for equipment and installation of Pentair IC20

ebcinmv

Dec 3, 2016
Mountain View, CA
Greetings TFPers!

I joined TFP in 2016 and have lurked and learned, but this is my first post.

After struggling with crazy high CYA and calcium levels for more years than I will admit here, we had reverse osmosis done last week to solve the problem while saving water but not risking structural problems from emptying our pool.

We need to get the pool chemistry completely balanced, but I know better than to ask about that without detailed results from a good test pool kit. Our Taylor 2006C will arrive tomorrow!

To avert the problems we had before, we are installing an SWG generator. I got this quote from a local pool service for our 15,000 in-ground pool:

* Pentair IC20 generator cell $1295
* Step down transformer $790
* Materials (conduit, wires, fittings, plumbing the cell if needed) around $50 of
* Labor $245.
total cost installed $2570

The prices on the equipment seem inflated, because I know I can buy the generator for $900 with free shipping. But the labor cost seems very low for our area. For example, electricians charge $250 an hour here. My husband thinks they are charging less for labor and more for the equipment because that seems more acceptable to customers.

There is no chance of DIY as neither my husband nor myself have the requisite skills or time to do this. I’ve tried to get a second estimate from another company, but we live in the Silicon Valley, and it is often very hard to get anyone to do services at our home or even reply to inquiries. So I am inclined to accept this and get the thing done unless it seems outrageous. Any thoughts from the TFP experts?

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This will assist us in providing specific help without having to ask you each time.

What SWG brand you choose may rely on if you have automation or not.
With automation, the SWG should be the same brand as the automation.
Without automation, there are seferal other options, some of which may cost less.

With a 15k pool, a SWG rated for at least 30k is advised. Possibly something inthe 40k or higher range would be better. SWGs are rated on how much chlorine they can produfe when run 24/7.

IC20 cell + Power Center can be purchased for $1,350.

Do you have a Pentair automation system?

Figure installation is a half day job at $170/hour.

Fair price is around $2,000 installed.

They are charging 20% more which may be your SV tax.

Another way to look at Pool Company cost is typically 2X internet price. That would be about $2,700.

So they are high priced in a high price area but not a rip off price.

As Jim pointed out, confirm the IC20 is not suitable for your pool. If you pool is over 10,000 gallons you need an IC40.

Thanks so much for this helpful advice! We have Hayward filter, pump, and automation and solar heating. I will get that added to my profile and bring it up with the company that installs an SWG. I will ask about getting a model with a higher capacity and maybe a Hayward product.

Best,
Eve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Follow up on the high cost for the Pentair equipment. The installer said they have to pay a higher price for the units then we can but it ourselves. He was happy to install if we bought it ourselves and said he would charge $100 more. So $395 for installation, including materials to install. Seems fair.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.