Really confused about what to do, please HELP

7-11 PM update. I think I discovered why my PH has been creeping up. I had my return jet angled slightly upward created hard ripples on the surface. That would be aerating no?

Added 2 gal of bleach and FC is already at 4ppm or past that.

7-11 PM update. I think I discovered why my PH has been creeping up. I had my return jet angled slightly upward created hard ripples on the surface. That would be aerating no?

Added 2 gal of bleach and FC is already at 4ppm or past that.

Yes, that is aeration and would cause your PH to rise.

Already past 4ppm going up or down?

Also, please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started

Thank you duraleigh.

Going up. Before I added the bleach it wasn't reading any FC.

7-12 am check. FC was still higher than my tester would read. I'll have the wife check it midday while I'm at work to see if any more bleach needs to be added.

Thank you all who have helped so far, hopefully you all haven't forgot about me:D

Proper test kit came in today. First test ran was CYA to see what my Chlorine level should be for a SLAM.

CYA was off the chart high. over 100. So now I'm wondering if there are any guesses as to how much water I'm going to need to replace, or should I target a SLAM FC of 39 and wait for the CYA to burn off? figured I'd wait on the other test in case I need to drain/ refill any water.

19049766564_2b042e8741_z.jpg

Sere, CYA doesn't "burn off". Once it's in the water, it stays there until removed by drain/refill. You should do the extended test to get a better idea of how much water needs replaced.
This is the answer - partial drain and refill is the only real way to get the CYA down.

As 100 is the limit of the CYA test, so at this level we are unsure if it is 100 or some number above 100. Don't equate “just a little over 100” to a number, the tube is not marked for such extrapolation. At this point I would recommend at least a 33% water exchange to get the CYA down. For vinyl lined pools leave at least one foot of water in the shallow end to keep from floating the liner and all pool owners are cautioned that in areas with a high water table lowering the water too much can “float” the pool out of the ground.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all who have helped so far, hopefully you all haven't forgot about me:D

Proper test kit came in today. First test ran was CYA to see what my Chlorine level should be for a SLAM.

CYA was off the chart high. over 100. So now I'm wondering if there are any guesses as to how much water I'm going to need to replace, or should I target a SLAM FC of 39 and wait for the CYA to burn off? figured I'd wait on the other test in case I need to drain/ refill any water.

19049766564_2b042e8741_z.jpg

Is there CYA test water in the tube in this pic?

Kim

I would suggest doing the dilution test for CYA, to get a handle on how much water you will have to replace. Try diluting your pool water sample 50/50 with tap water, run the CYA test, and multiply results by 2. Your photo shows such a high level that you may even want to dilute further, e.g. two parts plain water to one part pool water (multiply CYA results by 3 in that case).

Update on whats going on. I started the drain process and refilling before I saw the advice on the dilution test. So I replaced 50% of my water and got it refilled last night. Switched the pump to filter so I would have a solid 8 hours of mixing the water together and took a full battery of test this morning, Here's how they look.

FC- 6
CC- 1
TA- 170
CYA- 51
PH- 7.4
CH- 180

I'm going to add 2.5 gallons of bleach to get to shock level. Anything I should do about the PH, will it creep up? Should I aerate a bit? What to do about TA?

Thank you all.

Good job! You are on the right track!

Once your FC goes to 10 or over do not bother testing PH as it will not test correct.

The TA will be the very last thing we will worry with. Right now get that water clear and jewel like!

Kim

Everything looks good right now to start the SLAM. Do not aerate because you cannot measure pH during the SLAM.

Right now, the most important thing to do is maintain shock level FC now that you've brought FC up to shock level. This means testing it and dosing with more chlorine every hour if possible until the FC start hold your target, then back off to every 2 hours, then 4 hours until finally the pool is crystal clear and you pass the OCLT.

Keep an eye on filter pressure, you need to backwash any time the PSI is 25% higher than the normal pressure (pressure right after a backwash/rinse). When your filter can go whole day between backwashes and you get a day off that you can babysit, you can consider reading the "Adding DE to sand filter" link that is at the bottom of the SLAM article. This will speed up clearing the water. After it is all clear and your CC is <=0.5ppm, you can attempt the OCLT.

Confused again about what to do at this point. A little update first of my test readings and chemicals added thus far.

7-15 11am FC 6, CC 1, CYA 51. Added 2.5 gallons of bleach to bring chlorine to SLAM level.

7-15 4PM FC 15, CC .6. Added 1.5 gallons of bleach.

7-15 9PM Added 2 gallons of bleach for overnight.

7-16 9AM FC 22, CC 1

Doesn't seem like I lost any Chorine overnight, which is weird no? I've added some pics of the pool right now so everyone can see how it looks.

19558418280_439d8fcd1d_z.jpg
[/url]

19720262006_5cc20ca42c_z.jpg
[/url]

Did you measure FC after the evening addition of bleach? You really have to do that if you want to compare the morning FC number.

Just keep maintaining your shock FC level, testing relatively often, as your schedule permits.

Unless you tell us what strength bleach you're using, we can't double check on the amounts you're adding (if you'd like others to double check, that is).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.