Ready to give up!

Tini

Jul 6, 2017
Atmore Alabama
We have owned our above ground for 2 years. We spent too much money the last two years trying to get our chemicals correct and algae free. Our current problem--pool will hold Chlorine for only a day and then total and free chlorine went to 0. Water was milky blue. Ph, total alkalinity levels were good with stabilizer at minimum range. We shocked with 4 lbs of shock -- no results. The next day we shocked again with 3 lbs and added stabilizer. This morning levels are at the high end for all readings. Tested again this afternoon, after a day of Alabama sunshine with pump running all day and levels are still on the high end of all readings--but pool is cloudy blue with a milky appearance. What do we do?? So tired of not being able to enjoy this Pool. We have already made 8 trips to Pool store which is 50 miles away--very tired of doing that. We have flocked several times this year also. Nothing seems to work.
Help please!

24 round above ground pool
sand filter
vinyl wall finish
15,000 volume
sanitizer FROG

Hi and welcome to TFP :)

I get that you are at wits end. So many people find this forum in the same position but if you really want to take control over your pool from the pool store, we can help you. But, you have to be willing to learn a bit. The process to get rid of algae is spelled out here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

We advocate learning to test your own water and understanding what it needs. Here are a few links for reading. You decide if you want to take control ;)

Pool School - Test Kits Compared
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Welcome. We hope you stick around and ask questions :)

Tini,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all Pool $tore weary pool owners... :drown:

We can help, but you've got to quit believing in "magic" first... Dumping pool store magic into your pool is not going to solve your pool's problem.

The main principle behind TFP, is that we believe in testing our own pool water and then using our Pool School and Pool Math to figure out exactly what our pools needs.

The problem for us is that without real test data, it is very hard for anyone here to determine just what your pool needs. We can't use test data except from one of two test kits.. Either the TF-100 (what I use) and the Taylor K-2006C (and yes the "C" is important).. The reason for this is so that we are comparing apples to apples...

I'm sure you are going to have to do what we can a SLAM... SLAM Process This is a process and not a dose of some magic chemical... To perform a SLAM you will need one of the above test kits.

I suggest you start by reading this... TFPC for Beginners

And then if you are still interested, you can look at the articles in our Pool School ... Pool School - Pool School

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.