Silver Supporter
May 3, 2023
South Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi this is my first year as pool owner and I am having a lot of difficulty with algae and all levels are off and I just am at a loss what to do next. Here’s all what’s going on. After we put pool up noticed we have algae problem so my husband did a mega shock to kill algae ….which this didn’t happen what resulted is very high ph and very high alkalinity today finally have then ph level inbetween low and normal same with the alkaline, now my total chlorine is high and my free chlorine is very high and total hardness is very low so is stabilizer very low. My water is still somewhat cloudy but I can see the bottom of the pool and I still have algae in the pool which i have treated with algicide and the algae is getting more each day. I have no clue what my next step to do. Any help any suggestions or what step should I tackle next would be appricated. Living in south Louisiana the weather is already hot and these kids are ready to swim. Please help. Also my pool is a ground pool 18x48

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool