Ready for the Slam and need guidance PLEASE.

It's not really a mistake but a bit of confusing situation.
You assumed your CYA was 20 ppm and added 10 ppm to reach 30, others might have thought your CYA was 0 and you added 30 ppm worth of stabilizer and it's still not showing up.
Anyway, you are on right track now to get your pool back.
The only thing to adjust, since your last CYA was 45 (we always round it up to next value up, in your case 50) your SLAM target should be 20 FC.
Don't check anything else while doing SLAM, just FC and keep it up at 20 whenever you can while brushing at least twice daily.

It's not really a mistake but a bit of confusing situation.
You assumed your CYA was 20 ppm and added 10 ppm to reach 30, others might have thought your CYA was 0 and you added 30 ppm worth of stabilizer and it's still not showing up.
Anyway, you are on right track now to get your pool back.
The only thing to adjust, since your last CYA was 45 (we always round it up to next value up, in your case 50) your SLAM target should be 20 FC.
Don't check anything else while doing SLAM, just FC and keep it up at 20 whenever you can while brushing at least twice daily.
I see what your say. Thanks

Ok friends I have a question. I know I was told no need to backwash until pressure gauge goes up which it has not, but if I see a bunch of dead algae (at least I hope dead) like on the steps shouldn’t I vacuum it up on waste to get it out of the pool?

vacuum on filter until your pressure climbs then backwash, and repeat.
A dirty sand filter cleans better than a clean one does. Untll it is time to backwash.

Probably should have asked this in the beginning but I guess I’m just a trusting person and don’t ask just follow directions but every one keeps posing the question to me. Is it not harmful to my vinyl liner to put that much liquid chlorine (32 gal 6%) in my pool and have my chlorine levels that high?
Please help me with the appropriate answer.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably should have asked this in the beginning but I guess I’m just a trusting person and don’t ask just follow directions but every one keeps posing the question to me. Is it not harmful to my vinyl liner to put that much liquid chlorine (32 gal 6%) in my pool and have my chlorine levels that high?
Please help me with the appropriate answer.
Thanks

32 gallons of 6% bleach is way too much for your pool. It would raise your FC to 99.
How did you calculate this number?

I don't think she means she added it all at once, (I think) that is the total she's added the whole time. She's consistently posted FC of 9-12.

The CYA buffers the chlorine. A pool with 0 CYA and 2ppm of chlorine is harsher on skin and liners than FC 18ppm and CYA of 40. There is science to back up keeping the FC and CYA in the correct ratio to each other. People seem to think that powdered chlorine shock is better and gentler on the pool than liquid chlorine and that is not true. Chlorine is chlorine. It all breaks down and leaves salt behind in the process. Dry chlorine that has had CYA added to it also leaves the CYA behind, which builds up and can cause problems over time. Same story with cal-hypo only instead of CYA it leave calcium behind. People are going to say all kinds of things, and some of them are going to swear you are ruining your pool. They are mistaken.

One thing I have learned over my years at TFP, is there are 3 things you don't discuss in public unless you are looking for an argument. They are religion, politics, and pool care!

• Haha
Reactions: Pool Newbie!
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.