Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

Cleaning frequency is related to the size of the filter (sq-ft). Cartridges are typically much larger than DE filters which are larger than sand so on average, sand filters are cleaned more frequently than DE which is cleaned more frequently than cartridges. I clean my 420 sq-ft cartridges only once per year but there they could go much longer than that as there is no PSI rise even after a year of operation.

Reactions: mknauss
Cleaning frequency is related to the size of the filter (sq-ft). Cartridges are typically much larger than DE filters which are larger than sand so on average, sand filters are cleaned more frequently than DE which is cleaned more frequently than cartridges. I clean my 420 sq-ft cartridges only once per year but there they could go much longer than that as there is no PSI rise even after a year of operation.
Are your filters dirty when you clean them? Mine can be quite full of a gray, silty material, plus seeds, bugs and other debris.

This is what they looked like after the first week after opening:
pool filter 2 may 2021.pngpool filter may 2021.png

Mine can be quite full of a gray
That gray matches the silt that got good and bleached over the winter. Once the gray was cleaned off, about a week in like you, they were always a mustard-y pollen color at mid and end season Plus whatever bugs, tiny flowers or whatnot got past the skimmer and pump basket

Yours is definitely yellow-er. Must be that good prairie pollen! We appear to have the exact same filter as well.

Have you guys tried the skimmer socks, I use one a week and I only clean the cartridge once a year and it's really not even dirty. The only downside is pollen season they might need to be changed twice a week.

The only downside is pollen season they might need to be changed twice a week
Oooooof. For pollen season mine woulda needed changing every hour. But I was heavily tree-d and above average for sure. Still though, proof they work amazing. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been using these for a week or so now and the only downside is that I have to empty the skimmer and clean out the sock pretty much every day. I used to be able to get by with emptying the skimmer only once or twice per week. How often do you replacee the socks? So far I am just dumping the gunk and rinsing off the sock and have yet to replace it.

I just use mine till they wear out. We had purchased the disposable hair covers (which I felt guilty about adding to the landfill) but over the summrer or winter the thin elastic got lazy and won't stay on the skimmer lip. So back to the re-usuable ones.

Maddie 🐞

Reactions: BadDogPSD
But I assume you empty them several times and rinse off before throwing out, do you not?

I also saw a suggestion in another thread here to use knee-high nylons which you can get for a cheap price.

I guess it depends on how much junk you get in your skimmers. I don't use them in the skimmer because I would have a mess to clean every day or so. It doesn't really bother me to let the filter do what it was designed to do. I do, however, use the filter socks to dissolve CYA when I add it. I don't reuse the socks mostly because I am just lazy but you could. I use the below. 1 pack lasts me - well, I bought it 3 years ago and still have over 1/2 left.

But I assume you empty them several times and rinse off before throwing out, do you not?

I also saw a suggestion in another thread here to use knee-high nylons which you can get for a cheap price.
A little late, but I've been using skimmer socks starting about halfway through last summer. I find that they last 2-4 weeks before they start to deteriorate (get holes), so I just replace as needed. I was rinsing every couple of days during our pollen season, now I rinse them out 1-2 twice a week.

Phosphates are not really something the TFP method tracks or is worried about unless you have a bad algae issue. Keeping TFP levels for CYA and Chlorine will take care of any algae. Just rinse them well.

Phosphates are not really something the TFP method tracks or is worried about unless you have a bad algae issue. Keeping TFP levels for CYA and Chlorine will take care of any algae. Just rinse them well.
I understand that but i would not want to add phosphates willingly if that is what the TSP solution will do. Phosphates are food for algae i rather not have extra food in my pool if it doesn't have any now.

Gordo,

Obviously, you don't soak the cartridges and just stick them back in the filter, you still have to thoroughly rinse them off. Not much if any of the TSP should still be on the cartridges.

I would not give it a second thought.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.