Couple of things

You can have good flow through the SYSTEM, but have a problem with how the water is flowing through the heater.
Without getting too involved, all the water that enters the heater does not make it to the exchanger (to gather or absorb heat). A lot of it gets By-passed right to the outlet port.

If either of your by-passes (you have 2) gets damaged or otherwise fails and lets too much, or not enough water by-pass, you can and will have flow issues through the heater resulting, in some cases, increased temps., long heat up times, exchanger erosion, etc.

The trouble with "guessing" if you need a board is, since it is an electrical component, almost everyone will not allow you to return it.
You wrote (couldn't find it here so I copied it from the email notification):

Couple of things

You can have good flow through the SYSTEM, but have a problem with how the water is flowing through the heater.
Without getting too involved, all the water that enters the heater does not make it to the exchanger (to gather or absorb heat). A lot of it gets By-passed right to the outlet port. If either of your by-passes (you have 2) gets damaged or otherwise fails and lets too much, or not enough water by-pass, you can and will have flow issues through the heater resulting, in some cases, increased temps., long heat up times, exchanger erosion, etc.

The trouble with "guessing" if you need a board is, since it is an electrical component, almost everyone will not allow you to return it. So there's that...

If you are getting SPK with no re fire I would lean more towards the FENWAL. The board appears to be telling the FENWAL to spark or ignite and the FENWAL has locked out. But here we go again...
Has the FENWAL failed and has locked itself out? Or is the FENWAL reacting to a failure somewhere else. The board (directly upstream on the control river), seems to be giving the correct command because we have the SPK displayed. All of the safety devices have been satisfied. So a lot of what could go wrong is out of the equation at this point,

Lets back up...

The heater needs the right conditions to fire. Things like: is it turned on? Is the set temp higher than the inlet water temp? Is water flowing through the heater? Is the heater too hot to operate safely? All those things have to be right for the main board to say: OK lets heat.

So now when it does this, it tells the FENWAL(FW) to light the heater. It does this by doing a few things. It opens the pilot valve, then it sends a pulse to the pilot which arcs or jumps to ground. Hopefully, the pilot lights and the pilot sends a signal back to the FW that there is a flame at the pilot (flame rectification).

Now this is where (i think) your problem comes in...

When YOUR heater initially tries to heat, your FW is getting that signal, and the FW goes ahead and sends voltage to the main gas valve, valve opens, and the heater lights. Now what i think is happening is, the FW is at some point loosing the flame rectification, that barely detectable signal that the pilot sends back to the FW. And the FW thinks that the fire has gone out, and shuts the gas valve. Because you dont want raw gas pooling. The FW now tries to relight Because the board says everything is good. So now at this point, if you can hear the "buzz" of the FW trying to light the pilot, AND the pilot is lit, your FW is bad OR you have a ground issue (what i have been nagging about). If no pilot is lit AND no Buzzing, probably the FW.

See? i still wont say for sure. BTW, the FW is also one of those high dollar NONRETURNABLE parts...

My response:
I have never heard of FENWAL so I looked it up. Then I looked for parts. Not terribly priced. And returnable (on eBay). They allow returns on most stuff. Even on the control board. I always make sure that I can make a return before buying. I'm willing to buy it and try it. I have to refer to my manual to find where it is on the unit. The most I have to lose is return shipping. This has been quite the learning experience. Very interesting. I always want to know how things work. Before this, the heater was a just a big ol metal box. :)

Ok, I give. I cannot find a thing about a gas ignition control anywhere on my manual parts list. Is Fenwal a brand only? And does it go by another name? Yikes. My eyes hurt. lol

Last edited:
I had removed that. I had mistakenly referenced a different model year heater. My last edited post is the most relevant. Please disregard my post you managed to recover. Your heater has the FENWAL component integrated into the main board.
OHHHH. No wonder. It looked like you edited it early this AM, but I wasn't sure what had happened. Well, that's a relief. Cuz I was going nuts trying to find FENWAL... lol

So what does this mean now? I guess FENWAL is ruled out entirely. Do you think it would be crazy to try the board? It apparently worked for others. If I can return it...nothing to lose.

Your symptoms are leaning more toward the FW. And since your FW is part of the main board, we are back to the replacement of the main board.
Oh my. How funny. We went full circle from board to board. That's why the few posts I came across by folks with the same exact problem replaced their boards and problem solved. I certainly have a better understanding of how this all works now. Better. Not great. lol Ok, so a board it is. I will see what I can scrape up for a decent price and report back once I get it hooked up. Is there anything I should know that I wouldn't know unless I was you?

If you can only turn on the heater (display, not firing) when the pump is on, then make sure that the pump is off.
If you can power up the electronics even if the pump is off, then you should turn the breaker off before replacing.
Yes, I can only turn on the heater when the pump is on. I always turn breakers off anyway, there's one right there on my electric panel by the pool equip.
I'm looking for a board. I know you said that the one you linked is a newer model. So therefore a different model number. I saw one on eBay that I thought was the right one (it looks like the one I have) but it's a different color. I'm waiting for the guy to respond. I have 30 days to return it. It's brand new, open box.

Attachments

• 2019-08-01 19.45.53.jpg
    2019-08-01 19.45.53.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 2
Wrong board. Don't even try to hook up. Package it back up.
Advice: If you gave him the correct numbers, and he sent you that, get a refund and buy one from someone else... That board isn't even close to yours.

That is a very old board that uses analog dials to set the temp.

Reactions: mrsfluff
Wrong board. Don't even try to hook up. Package it back up.
Advice: If you gave him the correct numbers, and he sent you that, get a refund and buy one from someone else... That board isn't even close to yours.

That is a very old board that uses analog dials to set the temp.
I didn't buy it. I was just looking. Bc it was new, open box for $150ish. I'm glad I ran it by you. He hadn't answered me yet so I can't say he lied. He has a no questioned asked 30 day retrun so it would be really stupid for him to sell me something I don't need. Not only that, I'd give him a bad review. Ebay sellers HATE that. It keeps them honest. I'll keep looking. Do you recommend the newer board? The one you linked to? Or is either ok? Why did they modify it? It certainly looks better, more streamlined. Do you know the correct model # for the old board (the one I have)? It's not in the manual. Figures.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe the part numbers are the same. I will depend on how "fresh" the merchants stock is. That will determine which board you get.
I ended up buying from Sunplay. The link you sent. It was the best price for a new unit. I'm not taking any chances with a used one. I call Raypak to double check the warranty which is a year. The guy was saying if that board goes (being new) then you have other issues. I also have 60 days to return it to Sunplay. I'm just praying for the best! I'll report back once I get it hooked up. :)

I ended up buying from Sunplay. The link you sent. It was the best price for a new unit. I'm not taking any chances with a used one. I call Raypak to double check the warranty which is a year. The guy was saying if that board goes (being new) then you have other issues. I also have 60 days to return it to Sunplay. I'm just praying for the best! I'll report back once I get it hooked up. :)
UPDATE: STILL WAITING FOR MY BOARD. I ordered it on the 9th. They say 5-7 days. It's now 11 days. I called last week, they said 2 more days at most. Today they said there is a 6 day delay at the NJ warehouse...which they've known about. I am not a happy camper. The guy tried to make me feel better by saying that it's not just my order, it's everyone's. Please. Then he wanted to cancel the order. Almost insistent. I told him I don't have time to cancel an order and wait for a new one. Our weather is going to be changing soon. He then said I would have it by Friday. Unreal. I told him I did a lot of shopping around before ordering from them. He said he was emailing the warehouse as we spoke. Ok. We shall see. So that's where I am with the repair. LOL Joy.

Hate to rub it in but...
Looks like you could get it Thursday.
I'm calling Sunplay again right now...I might go ahead and cancel and buy the other one. I don't generally shop Amazon...but I'm also not a fool who cuts off his nose to spite his face. Thanks for the link! :)

Hate to rub it in but...
Looks like you could get it Thursday.
Called Sunplay...STILL NO WORD ON DELIVERY. He said I would not get it by Friday, for certain. CANCEL! Bought it thru Amazon. Had to do what I had to do. Now I pray it gets here early in the day, have dinner plans Thursday eve and company coming on Friday. From the looks of it, reading others' comments, it's a straightforward job. Pray for me. lol

I just got through doing a painless return through Amazon. I first started by contacting the vendor direct for an expedited replacement of a bad (new) part. That was a mistake. 2 min on the phone with Amazon, refund on the way... If you get a bad part through Amazon, dont try to get a replacement, just return it and order from another vendor, Amazon will usually provide (at least) a half dozen for the same part. That way, you wont have to wait for the turn around, and you'll get it in about two days.

I just got through doing a painless return through Amazon. I first started by contacting the vendor direct for an expedited replacement of a bad (new) part. That was a mistake. 2 min on the phone with Amazon, refund on the way... If you get a bad part through Amazon, dont try to get a replacement, just return it and order from another vendor, Amazon will usually provide (at least) a half dozen for the same part. That way, you wont have to wait for the turn around, and you'll get it in about two days.
That's good to know. I PRAY this goes well. It appears that all comments are positive, didn't see anyone cite difficulties. I'll be getting the board tomorrow, hoping early enuf to install it. Getting company Friday and wanted to throw a little heat on things. So it'll be a tight squeeze. Will report back tomorrow!

That's good to know. I PRAY this goes well. It appears that all comments are positive, didn't see anyone cite difficulties. I'll be getting the board tomorrow, hoping early enuf to install it. Getting company Friday and wanted to throw a little heat on things. So it'll be a tight squeeze. Will report back tomorrow!
Ok...it just arrived...I'm crapping pickles. I'm just waiting for the sun to move away from the heater...next hour or so.

Ok...it just arrived...I'm crapping pickles. I'm just waiting for the sun to move away from the heater...next hour or so.
I'm praying that removing the LoNox tab is the right thing to do. My manual says Atmopheric Models P-R185B - P-R405B and C-R185B - P-R405B then it lists the LoNOx models, same numbers but ending in BL. Somebody posted earlier that a LoNOx is 3 feet high with a blower and atmopheric is 4 feet high without. Mine is 4 feet high, no blower...I assume then that I have to remove the tab. HELP!!! Do I remove the tab???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.