New York
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi I have a Raypak natural gas heater (266k btu, model P-R266-A-EN-C). The digital display is not displaying at times. I've seen it happen 3 times in the past month. Does anyone have any insight as to an impending issue that I can correct now (before it costs more later). Everything works fine otherwise. Even when the display doesn't show I can still adjust the temp. btw, when it doesn't display it's the entire screen (not like some displays and some doesn't). Thanks for any advice you can provide.

OK. Your heater was manufactured in December of 2014. In 2014 they had a rash of bad display modules. Some lasted longer than others. Some had issues that when they got too hot from the sun became washed out and you couldn't read it.

You can find replacement modules on ebay and other sites. Looks for the one with the DENSITRON sticker on it and the Rev should be B.

Oh I forgot to mention that they didn't just get washed out from sun, they just quit displaying anything unless I would put pressure on the circuit board the display was attached to. Ended up putting plastic clamp to apply pressure when we wanted to use it. This would work for about a year and the wouldn't work any more and we would have to buy a new display and board and sensors for 400 bucks. I think they had some defect in manufacturing the circuit boards and just couldn't take our heat.

schatz, yours is the older style board.

I've been working with Rheem/Raypak for over 10 years and only saw this issue back in 2014. I do come across units from earlier and some displays are just fine.

When my heater is on you can never see the display which is three years old. My old heater was the same way and the display went totally out. I have a remote control so I really don't look at it in my case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When my heater is on you can never see the display which is three years old. My old heater was the same way and the display went totally out. I have a remote control so I really don't look at it in my case.

If it's 3 years old, that would put it into the same year of manufacture as the op, 2014, which there were issues with the new display module.

Thank you very much for the help. At least it's (the heating part) working even when the display goes out. If I need to buy a new one I'll at least explore a remote (rather put the $ towards that). I'll check with RayPak but I assume it's out of warranty. Thanks again!

Mine had the described issue the rest of my 2017 season (mostly on but sometimes off) and all of last year it was fine. I'm hoping the same for you. I'll be buying a replacement though as a "just in case." This was a good reminder. I put in a swcg myself and chose one with a water temp readout in case the raypak display goes out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.