Raypak 407 pilot??

Apr 13, 2014
Georgia
I’ve got a cursed raypak 407. I was so excited to get a simple atmospheric heater with no complications when I bought it but I’ve had a variety issues with animals getting in, leaking sensors causing corrosion etc.

Now I’ve got it all cleaned out, everything seems to be ok, but it consumed a pilot assembly in a couple of months. Watching it run, the pilot is continuing to burn after the main burner has rolled on.

I would expect the sequence would be the pilot would start, the sensor would prove flame, main burner on, then pilot off. It seems like it’s just staying on. Is that right? I tried swapping the board with my spare and no effect.

Attachments

• IMG_6657.jpeg
    IMG_6657.jpeg
    480.8 KB · Views: 4
The manual says the pilot flame is lit when the heater is powered. If the pilot flame is lost the main gas valve is closed.

1710627394897.png

What color is the pilot flame? Blue or yellow?

What does the Service Menu say for Flame Strength, Run Time/cycles, and Fault History?

Maybe @1poolman1 @swamprat69 has ideas.

1710627542197.png

Last edited:
The manual says the pilot flame is lit when the heater is powered. If the pilot flame is lost the main gas valve is closed.

View attachment 558772

What color is the pilot flame? Blue or yellow?

What does the Service Menu say for Flame Strength, Run Time/cycles, and Fault History?

Maybe @1poolman1 @swamprat69 has ideas.

View attachment 558773
Pilot remains lit while the heater is firing. If it goes out, as in low gas pressure, the system tries to re-light, but the main valve closes until flame is sensed once again.

Thanks. The pilot flame is wide and yellow. I assumed the previous assembly broke down from being overheated and corrosion. The main burner flames and performance seem ok.
Yellow flame is not good. It should be blue.

You have an air/gas mixture problem.

Yellow is not good on the main burner but it’s pretty normal for the pilot, right?

No, pilot should have a blue flame.

Yellow flame is burning too hot. I think that is blow torching your pilot.

1710648556035.png