Apr 7, 2021
Miami, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Moved from here.
Hi guys, I've got the same problem in my pool in Miami, and with a 1y and 4y old boy I'm not sleeping well.

How am I sure it was a Raccoon? I've got a ring camera. How do you know he was carrying Baylisascariasis? I don't know and I don't care much. Read below.

The only thing that works with killing Baylisascariasis is the temperature. 62 degrees Celsius are enough to kill them for good.

Read this paper, that is the most recent and accurate:

"The application of some form of heat, especially by the use of a steam-producing device or a propane flame gun, has been found to be the most effective decontamination method (1, 2, 6, 25). The thermal death point of embryonated B. procyonis eggs is actually relatively low, and they are rendered inviable by exposure to a temperature of 62°C for less than 1 min (26, 141). This temperature also inactivates the eggs of other ascarids, including A. suum and A. lumbricoides (142). This temperature is easily achievable by several means, including the use of regular and point-of-use household water heaters and portable steam cleaners as well as of water heated on stoves (for example, in a large teapot, etc.) (1)."

Source: Update on Baylisascariasis, a Highly Pathogenic Zoonotic Infection.

Since I've got a cartridge filter, I was thinking of doing this:

1) remove the poop with a fine net (the best I can)
2) run the pump for 24h
3) Water wash the cartridge. It's not backwashing like recommended by the CDC because I haven't got a sand filter, but the cartridge should be even better to catch smaller particles than the sand filter.
4) lay the cartridge on the ground and pour gently a lot of boiling water on the filter cartridge
5) put the filter back
6) repeat this operation for 2-3 days just to be sure to collect everything

I could steam instead of pouring hot water (my wife already had this portable steamer bought from Amazon Amazon.com: Hilife Steamer for Clothes Steamer, Handheld Garment Steamer Clothing Iron 240ml Big Capacity Upgraded Version: Home & Kitchen).

I think this is the most (scientific) effective and yet the easiest solution to the problem.

WDYT?

Last edited by a moderator:
The application of some form of heat, especially by the use of a steam-producing device or a propane flame gun, has been found to be the most effective decontamination method
NOW you’re talking !!!!
91D6F64C-261D-404E-A3BF-9FE53CEF652A.gif

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Ok. On a serious note I think you need to do what you need to sleep well at night. It happens every day everywhere. But if that doesn’t help you sleep, please do you. :)

Reactions: kimkats
Poor creature.... Before I drain all the water I must be sure the raccoons are not coming back. I've built something that avoid them to use the stairs, any idea that you implemented and actually worked out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.