Questions about copper ionization

new-pool-owner

Apr 6, 2019
California
I have searched and read many blogs but I can't find an answer.

1. Does a DE filter remove copper ions?
2. Do they copper ions oxidize or somehow become inactive due to a slow chemical reaction with chlorine, or heat, etc?
3. Basically, I am wondering if I need to consistently add copper ions to my pool, or do I only need to after I backwash my filter and then add more water and dilute the pool
4. I have had a solar ionizer in my pool for more than a week. The copper readings are not showing up on the provided test strips. Any ideas?

Remove the solar ionizer now. Dispose of in trash.

All copper is going to do in your pool water is turn blonde hair green and stain your pool surfaces.

1: No
2: No, copper is forever unless water is removed or it attaches to a surface as a copper stain
3: Since we absolutely 100% do not support the use of copper I'd have to say no you should not be consistently adding copper to your pool
4: See answer 3, toss this system or try to return it.

can people explain why copper is so bad if it reduces the need for chlorine? aside from the staining.
It doesn't reduce the need for chlorine. Nor would maintaining lower chlorine levels lead to a more positive water experience. That's all marketing to convince people to buy in to an otherwise completely unnecessary system.

Following the FC/CYA Levels creates the most comfortable, sanitary, and clear water you can get. Dumping unnecessary metals in to the water doesn't.

aside from the staining
It’s the staining. If ink helped some with algae, would you add it ?

Then folks don’t properly run full FC because the manufacturers claim it doesn’t need it and have nothing but problems. Search here for 15+ years and hundreds of hundreds of folks who have tried. Don’t take my work for it, take theirs. Message them if they are still active and ask them directly. Peer to peer.

Even with all this real world experience we forever get a newb that thinks that *they* can be the one to hack the system.

You are welcome to try anything you see fit, of course. But please do your proper research first. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.