Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hello!

I have an IntelliFlo i1 Variable Speed Pool Pump,, UltraTemp 110 heat pump, and an EasyTouch 8 - Pool/Spa. I'm getting more intersted in understanding the mechanic of how the pool compenents work and was going through the manual when I saw that there is a heatpump specific setting as opposed to just "heater". Unless I'm missunderstanding, the heat pump seems to wired or catagorized as a gas heater as opposed to a heatpump. Does this matter? If I'm undestanding correctly, is this worth addressing?

Welcome to TFP.

There are two ways an UltraTemp HP can be connected to an EasyTouch system.

One is using the two wire fireman's switch which is a universal control for automation to turn all types of heaters on/off.

The other is connecting with a RS-485 communication cable that uses a digital link for the HP and ET to communicate.

When you connect the UltraTemp to Pentair automation using the RS-485 data connection you need to add a solar temperature sensor in addition to the air and water temperature sensors. The solar temperature sensor can be left loose in load center. The automation system does not use the temperature reading but just looks for resistance.

A 10K resistor will work, and is less expensive, or a temperature sensor.

You can steal the air temp sensor and connect it to the solar to test it immediately until you get a resistor.

When connected using the RS-485 data connection the automation can increase pump speed when the UltraTemp is on.

Remote connection via the RS-485 connector is only available on IntelliTouch and EasyTouch software version 1.11 or higher or the IntelliCenter.

EasyTouch Firmware 2.19 fixed problems communicating with the UltraTemp Heat Pump.

Reactions: guyman123
Welcome to TFP.

One is using the two wire fireman's switch which is a universal control for automation to turn all types of heaters on/off.

The other is connecting with a RS-485 communication cable that uses a digital link for the HP and ET to communicate.

When you connect the UltraTemp to Pentair automation using the RS-485 data connection you need to add a solar temperature sensor in addition to the air and water temperature sensors. The solar temperature sensor can be left loose in load center. The automation system does not use the temperature reading but just looks for resistance.

You can steal the air temp sensor and connect it to the solar to test it immediately until you get a resistor.

When connected using the RS-485 data connection the automation can increase pump speed when the UltraTemp is on.

Remote connection via the RS-485 connector is only available on IntelliTouch and EasyTouch software version 1.11 or higher or the IntelliCenter.

EasyTouch Firmware 2.19 fixed problems communicating with the UltraTemp Heat Pump.

Awesome, thank you for the info! I'll take a good read to see how it all ties together when I get a chance.

Welcome to TFP.

So I took a look and this is what I have:
1712709310416.jpeg

Do I just move the wires from the heater to the COM port and add a resister or temp sensor to the solar and that's it? I guess other than setting the heater option in the easy touch to heat pump. Thank you.

You need to move the yellow and green heater wire on both sides to the RS-485 comm connector on the heater and on the EasyTouch board.

A wrinkle is it looks like you have three or four wires all jammed into each screw on the J20 RS-485 comm connector. You should really only have two wires under each screw. Too many wires can cause the entire RS-485 bus to stop working.

What is connected to J20? Your Intelliflo VS pump? Screenlogic antenna? What else?

Do you have an IntelliChlor SWG system?

You need to move the yellow and green heater wire on both sides to the RS-485 comm connector on the heater and on the EasyTouch board.

A wrinkle is it looks like you have three or four wires all jammed into each screw on the J20 RS-485 comm connector. You should really only have two wires under each screw. Too many wires can cause the entire RS-485 bus to stop working.

What is connected to J20? Your Intelliflo VS pump? Screenlogic antenna? What else?

Do you have an IntelliChlor SWG system?
I'll need to follow the wires tomorrow but I have two pumps, one for the pool/spa and other for fountain/waterfall, indoor control panel, IntelliBrite, blower, and the salt generator. Should I buy the expansion module I guess?

Last edited:
Do you have the IntelliChlor surge board in your EasyTouch panel or do you have a separate Power Center? The IntelliChlor surge board has three RS-485 comm connectors on it.

Reactions: guyman123
Do you have the IntelliChlor surge board in your EasyTouch panel or do you have a separate Power Center? The IntelliChlor surge board has three RS-485 comm connectors on it.
I’ll Check later today and let you know. Thank you

You need to get the comm expansion board to handle all your RS-485 device connections...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support