Question About The Air Line Going In To A Propane Pressure Regulator for Heater

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
Hello, I have what I think is a "PVC air line" connected to what I think is a "Fisher Controls" propane pressure regulator for my RayPac propane pool heater. Please see the pics I posted. Anyway, the PVC air line got broken underground...it goes down below grade from the regulator...6-8 inches underground and then pops out above ground six feet away (the pic of the PVC by itself like a periscope). What happened it the PVC pipe got bused off below ground level (during a PVC fence installation nearby) and now it's covered up by dirt....and I think the PVC line is probably clogged up under the dirt...I assume this PVC airline is a propane over pressure relief (?)...and if so would it not make sense to just to cut the PVC air line a few inches below where it connects to the regulator...above ground and that would fix the problem of the more than likely clogged pipe...yes? Or is it dangerous to have a propane pressure relief valve so close to the heater itself? The PVC line leaving below the regulator is not needed for any support as the metal pipe is very sturdy. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6376.jpg
    IMG_6376.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6377.jpg
    IMG_6377.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 21
I am not a certified gas/propane person.

That white pvc line is a vent to atmosphere in case the valve has to relieve pressure. The pipe is normally filled with air, but I wouldn't call it an air line. It is piped away from the valve for a reason and shouldn't be cut off and terminated at ground level. Code will dictate the distance the vent needs to be from the heater, buildings, windows, etc. It should be repaired and not left broken underground as this would not allow it to safely vent to atmosphere.
You don't give the model number of the regulator but this is similar.
To be honest, the placement of that vent discharge (periscope) doesn't look right. Is it really just sticking out next to a stone pathway? It seems like it would be a hazard there and susceptible to damage. Perhaps have a qualified person reroute it to a better location.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.