Question about plumbing Vortex Solar

mkm856

Jun 21, 2020
Southern NJ
Hi I am considering purchasing a Vortex kit to heat my 15x24 above ground pool. I can fit 4-4x10 panels on our existing single story roof that is over our deck. Southern exposure, full sun the entire day. I'm looking at the deluxe kit on solardirect.com and the parts they include are for 2 inch PVC but our existing plumbing is all 1.5 inch. Should I call and request that they send a different kit with all 1.5 inch parts? Or should I plumb it with 2 inch and reduce it when I connect it to our existing plumbing? Thanks for any advice!

@mas985 knows a lot about the science behind solar plumbing.

Off the top of my head, I'm going to guess I'd rather upsize/reduce for the 2" version, rather than be stuck with the 1.5" version when I someday upgrade the plumbing on my pool pad to 2".

The PowerFlo Matrix has a maximum head of around 65' but that is at 0 GPM. At 35 GPM, the pump has 58' of head. A single story roof is only about 15' high so that leaves over 40' of head loss for the filter, valves, pipe and fittings. Should be plenty. I used a 1/2 HP pump for my 2 story install without any issue.

As for header size, I would go with the 2" headers and use reducers.

Reactions: Dirk
The PowerFlo Matrix has a maximum head of around 65' but that is at 0 GPM. At 35 GPM, the pump has 58' of head. A single story roof is only about 15' high so that leaves over 40' of head loss for the filter, valves, pipe and fittings. Should be plenty. I used a 1/2 HP pump for my 2 story install without any issue.

As for header size, I would go with the 2" headers and use reducers.
I will go with your recommendations, thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.