Question about evaporation in cooler weather

Yaeugd

Aug 15, 2017
Long Island, NY
I live In long Island NY and we finished installing a new pool in August. I been keeping up with the day to day maintenance and noticed that the water level over the last 2 weeks going down every week. we haven't used the pool in a week, Last Sunday on 9/30 I filled up the pool about a hours worth of water to get the level up to the middle of the skimmer. I took a measurement each day from the top each day and noticed that we are loosing about a 1/4 of a inch every 2 days, probably 1/8th of a inch of water mass each day. I have a 32,000 pool so that does seams like a lot of volume loss each day. I don't see any leaks at the equipment site, liner is brand new with no visual tears or holes, and the ground around the pool dose not appear wet of soft?

measurements are
9/30: front skimmer 4 1/2, back skimmers 4 1/4
10/1: front skimmer 4 1/2, back skimmers 4 1/4 (no change)
10/2: front skimmer 4 3/4 back skimmers 4 1/2
10/3: front skimmer 4 3/4 back skimmers 4 1/2 (no Change)
10/4: front skimmer 5": back skimmers 4 3/4

if this trend will continue I will loose a inch by Sunday. any advice would be greatly appreciated....Eugene

Welcome to the forum!
Evaporation of 1/8" to 1/4" per day is not unusual. Wind, relative humidity, and temperature variation (night time) between the water and air temperatures drive evaporation.

I would say it is normal.

Can you describe your chlorination method? I see ozone (which is of little use) but not sure if you are using Trichlor or SWCG? Be wary of using Trichlor for daily maintenance. You will have issues doing that.

Take care.

Thanks for the quick response. That puts me at ease. I use 3inch trichlor tablets. Usually put 4 tablets in at 3/4 chlorinator setting. Change them every week to week and a half. My chlorine level is usually 0.5 to 2 depends on if i shock the pool after a kids pool party. I had difficulty keeping the level above 1 because the del ozone uv light and the sun would wipe it out. I added stabilizer. Now the chlorine is consistently 0.5 to 1 and the water is clear so far I’m happy with ozonators results we’ll see about next season how it holds up when I open the pool.

I have a 1/8th inch evaporation each day so it should be normal I guess

I see you put tricolor might have issues. What issues might occur later?

Taylor test kit and the company that set did the installation digital testing anytime I bring in a sample. The pool is alage free for 2 months since we set it up in August.
Ph is about 7.6
Cya is 40 parts
Fc is 1.9
Tc is 1
Hardness is 110
Alkaline is 70
Last tested on 9/28 at the facility. I check via Taylor kit and free chlorine is darker shade of yellow which is 2.0.

Great. Review some of the links I provided. Your FC is too low if your CYA is 40 ppm. And you need a FAS-DPD FC test for accuracy.

Please add a signature. Also one of the links I provided.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.