QUAD 60 air in filter housing

TX_JM

Aug 7, 2019
DFW Texas
Good Afternoon,

I have a system with a QUAD60 filter. Lately we've been getting a ton of air being pushed into the pool returns when the pump kicks on. I've had a pool guy out to check the low pressure (pre-pump) plumbing. He replaced gaskets in two of my valves and pressurized the skimmer to the pump. It didn't seem to be leaking anymore.

One thing I noticed was the release valve on top of my Quad 60 was leaking pretty badly. I replaced it and it no longer leaks.

SHortly after the pump turns off I can hear gurgling coming from of the filter housing. It sounds like water is draining out and sucking in air. I suspect that is why I'm getting so much air when initially turning on the pump. Its so bad that if I open the release valve you can hear quite a bit of air coming out before water starts pushing out. Then close it the valve and the plumbing shakes quite a bit as the remaining air is pushed into the pool returns.

Any ideas on what to check next? I recently replaced my multiport valve that sits between pump and filter, that didn't seem to help much.

-TX_JM

Do you hear any hissing from your pump basket cap? When my pump turned off I could hear some hissing so I replaced that oring and lubed it real good and that solved that. Basically, air was being drawn into the top of the pump when it shut off.

Are your inlet and outlet connections from your MPT valve to your filter tight? Since you just changed it, just ensure it did not loosen due to pipe vibration.

Did you check your filter oring - this is the large oring that seals the top and bottom. It would seem if it was leaking you would see water dripping while pump is on. Just thought I throw this out for you to think about.

Do you hear any hissing from your pump basket cap? When my pump turned off I could hear some hissing so I replaced that oring and lubed it real good and that solved that. Basically, air was being drawn into the top of the pump when it shut off.

Are your inlet and outlet connections from your MPT valve to your filter tight? Since you just changed it, just ensure it did not loosen due to pipe vibration.

Did you check your filter oring - this is the large oring that seals the top and bottom. It would seem if it was leaking you would see water dripping while pump is on. Just thought I throw this out for you to think about.

I've not noticed any hissing from the pump basket, I do my best to keep oring and contact areas cleaned and greased up.

I'll have to verify the inlet and outlet connections to the MPT going into the filter.

Filter was cleaned out this past sunday. I ensured that oring and housing were cleaned up and lubed. Ring was torqued down and doesn't appear to be leaking.

I'm starting to wonder if i should have just skipped the valve and straight piped it from pump to filter inlet. WOuld have required replumbing, but the last two times I've not bothered with backwash, just took the filter housing appart and cleaned it that way.

Thanks for the tips on next things to check!

Couple of other ideas. Not sure how your system plumbing is set up but I throw out some options
When in normal pool mode, look at your skimmers. Do you see any whirlpool affect that may be pulling air into the pump?

If you have separate suction lines for skimmers and bottom drain. Close off the skimmers and only have suction from drain. Do you have air? Then reverse the operation and check that. If you can independently close off each skimmer then do those separately. Basically trying to isolate if you have a leak somewhere along a plumbing line and need to determine which one.
If you have air regardless of suction point then maybe the leak is at the equipment pad.

With regard to the MPT valve, it also provides a way to pump to waste in addition to backwash filter or to just recirculate, so it has several advantages.
In fact, if you put it to recirculate, it bypasses the filter. Do you see any air exiting your return jets if in recirculation mode only?
Keep us updated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.