PVC 60mil Membrane vs A Concrete Renovation - questions.

tryhardDIY

May 1, 2019
tryhardDIY123
Hello,

Have an old concrete pool that has fallen into disrepair/disuse. Was planning on putting up the $$ to actually get it to a use-able state. It basically needs the full works, sandblast/resurfacing, crack patching, plaster, new coping etc. etc. etc. So got some quotes. A friend referred a builder who suggested going with a waterproof PVC membrane instead, no resurfacing/patching necessary, the fabric would be installed in a 2 layer process and attached via a track, and a fabric welding effort. Both the price and future expense of this build were significantly under the concrete renovation costs. The builder described this method as being used throughout Europe and lasting significantly longer than concrete with 20-25 years of expected performance in the mid-atlantic region.

What are the downsides for this method?

A quick set of google searches shows primarily commercial applications for this - is it used for residential at all?

A look through youtube videos of the process make it seem rather simple to do - could some of this be DIY?

Whats the typical price range for this type of reno?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

What is this surface called? Can you give us some links?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure which specific company the builder is using as he didn't specify. All I know of the liner itself is that it's PVC 60mil. I found a few companies that provide similar liners:

Natatec - PVC Membrane Pool Lining | Durable & Long-Lasting
PoolShell - PVC Pool Shellâ„¢

I also found a couple of companies in China selling ?similar? products: Swimming Pool Material Pvc Membrane Liner - Buy Swimming Pool Material Pvc Membrane Liner,Swimming Pool Material,Swimming Pool Material Pvc Product on Alibaba.com

And a couple in Germany that appear to license worldwide: ELBEblue - ELBEblue line Pool Surface-Made in Germany & Customized for your Pool

^^ these guys appear to have a few videos on the installation process starting at

Honestly it sounds a bit too good to be true...

Installing that cannot be cheap!! The labor would have to be skilled and the time.........oh the time that has to take! My hands, arms, shoulders, etc all hurt just from watching that!!

I would not even think of having it done until you can go see at least two that the INSTALLERS that will be working on your pool has done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Problem with these novel systems is finding someone to help when they start having problems. Anyone can fix a liner/fiberglass/plaster pool but finding someone to fix one of these "double layer membrane" pools will likely prove a nightmare. It took me almost 4 years to find someone to renovate our old hybrid fiberglass/concrete pool and this looks even more....... unusual!

I wouldn’t call them novel, though the residential application is more than bizarre.

These are specked in many major builds. The system is not aesthetically pleasing, so they are used in when function trumps beauty.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.