Pump won’t prime

Beachkimball

Jul 2, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Hi all,

I installed a new black and decker 3hp vsp a few weeks ago and it worked great. Then I just got back from a six day trip to find my skimmer baskets full of leaves from the nearby oak tree. After cleaning the skimmers, and then cleaning the basket in the pump, I cannot get the pump to prime. It’s totally full of water before I close it, and I’ve tried filling it even higher with the hose, but the water level just stays a half inch or so from the viewing window. I’m assuming that I got something logged in the line when I was cleaning the skimmers, but I don’t know where to start. Any suggestions? I’m don’t seem to have, or can’t seem to find, any air release valves. I just have a two little black tabs in the back and side of the pump, and when I open those, I get water shooting out. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 8
It’s totally full of water before I close it, and I’ve tried filling it even higher with the hose, but the water level just stays a half inch or so from the viewing window.
Let's confirm this. You fill the pump pot with water then replace the lid. But when you turn on the pump, the water level in the pot drops about a half inch or so and stays there is that correct? So basically the pump pot doesn't remain 100% full of water.

I’m assuming that I got something logged in the line when I was cleaning the skimmers, but I don’t know where to start. Any suggestions?
With pump OFF, try pushing water backwards with a garden hose from the pump inlet back to the skimmer. If you have a pressure bladder (i.e. Drain King) you can use that too. Perhaps it will dislodge something if that's what happened. You might also consider removing the lid to any 3-way valves in front of the pump for better access. Perhaps something got lodged in there.

I’m don’t seem to have, or can’t seem to find, any air release valves. I just have a two little black tabs in the back and side of the pump, and when I open those, I get water shooting out.
You don't release air from the pump pot. Those are drain plugs. If you have an air relief, it would be on the filter, but not all sand filters have an air relief. If you don't see one, it's fine. Air will get passed from the inside of the filter to the return jets.

When I fill the pot with water, it goes right to the bottom of where the top attaches, but of course not above there. Then when I switch it on, the level stays right there but doesn’t rise up to full the domed lid. Does that make sense?

I’ll try pushing water through with the bladder with the pump off first thing in the morning and let you know. Thanks!

Reactions: Texas Splash
If the pot is nearly full, just below the clear lid, the situation may resolve itself with some time It's very possible that your suspicion is correct that some debris or a small critter got lodged in the suction line at some point. Perhaps tomorrow you'll make some progress. Also be sure to check the weir door at the skimmer to ensure it's moving freely. Pool water level high enough as well. 3-way valve(s) before the pump should be wide open. We'll watch for any updates tomorrow.

If the pot is nearly full, just below the clear lid, the situation may resolve itself with some time It's very possible that your suspicion is correct that some debris or a small critter got lodged in the suction line at some point. Perhaps tomorrow you'll make some progress. Also be sure to check the weir door at the skimmer to ensure it's moving freely. Pool water level high enough as well. 3-way valve(s) before the pump should be wide open. We'll watch for any updates tomorrow.
Still no luck. I tried the bladder and after a few seconds the water flows just shut off. I don’t have any valves at all on the inbound side other than that one shut off that controls both skimmers.

When I put the pump at 3450 RPM, I get maybe psi of 1 showing on the filter gauge. How long is it safe to leave it on without pressure? Should I try it for 10 or 15 minutes?

When I fill the pot with water, it goes right to the bottom of where the top attaches, but of course not above there. Then when I switch it on, the level stays right there but doesn’t rise up to full the domed lid. Does that make sense?

I’ll try pushing water through with the bladder with the pump off first thing in the morning and let you know. Thanks!
If the water level in the pump pot doesn't drop when the motor starts, you likely have a clogged impeller.
Try to reach into the pump toward the motor after removing the basket. You may feel that the impeller is clogged right at the "eye," the entrance to the impeller. They look like the picture below. A piece of wire with a short hook bent into it can sometimes loosen a clog.
1703798745229.png

If the water level in the pump pot doesn't drop when the motor starts, you likely have a clogged impeller.
Try to reach into the pump toward the motor after removing the basket. You may feel that the impeller is clogged right at the "eye," the entrance to the impeller. They look like the picture below. A piece of wire with a short hook bent into it can sometimes loosen a clog.
View attachment 547331
That was it! Back up and running! Thank you, TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.