Pump wont prime, wondering if it is toast. Need advice.

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hey guys, I have a Heyward XL pump and a sand filter and I cannot seem to get it to prime, which is not great for my green pool I just opened. This is my fourth season with this pump and I have not had any issues opening before.
I have added water to the basket, the skimmer, checked the connections, took the O ring off and rubbed some waterproof grease on it...it wont work for some reason. I ran the hose into the pump basket for a few minutes, when I turn the pump on, it runs, but about 8 ounces of water just sits in the basket. I noticed when I turn the pump off it makes a click noise...not sure if it always does that or not. Any advice would be appreciated. See pic of my setup, I could also post a video of what it sounds like if needed (I tried uploading but it sounds like you only accept pictures)

Attachments

• PoolSetup.png
    PoolSetup.png
    230.7 KB · Views: 64
Check the two drain plugs and put Pool Lube on the O rings of the drain plugs.

You likely have a suction side air leak and not a pump problem.

Check the impeller for anything clogged in it.

Load your video on YouTube and post a link to it.

I don't have any drain plugs, I just have the 2 eyeball returns in the pool. I took both caps off and put the eyeballs back in.

Load your video on YouTube and post a link to it.
FilterNoise here you go, I put it on streamable. I named it filter noise but it should be pump noise...lol.

Your pump has drain plugs.

What model number pump do you have?

Two pump drain plugs circled in red...

View attachment 485451
I got you, TY.
I didn't realize those tiny screws had O rings. I though only the lid had an O ring. Anyway, this is my setup. I have like a water grounding wire running thru one of these screws that attaches to a plate inside the pump underneath the basket (have you ever seen this before ? is it common ? ). I will put some dove soap around them and test it tomorrow and report back. The O rings feel OK...not dry at all.
The O ring on both of these feel fine.

Attachments

• DrainPlugwithCopperWire.jpg
    DrainPlugwithCopperWire.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DrainPlug2.jpg
    DrainPlug2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 19
That wire and the plate inside your pump gives you the required water bond for your vinyl pool.

I know...Im just wondering if air may be leaking thru the white part....Ill have to test the potential leak with some soap.
Soap will show bubbles and an air leak out.

You are looking for a suction air leak. How will that show with soap?

Wrap Saran Wrap around areas that you suspect of leaking.

Lack of priming is a big air leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Soap will show bubbles and an air leak out.

You are looking for a suction air leak. How will that show with soap?

Wrap Saran Wrap around areas that you suspect of leaking.

Lack of priming is a big air leak.
I definitely did prime, I added water into the pump basket for 2 minutes prior to running and also had a partner shoot the hose down the skimmer when I was running it. I am assuming that is what you mean by priming. Are you suggesting Saran Wrap to temporarily seal any suction leaks ?

I definitely did prime, I added water into the pump basket for 2 minutes prior to running and also had a partner shoot the hose down the skimmer when I was running it. I am assuming that is what you mean by priming.

I think you are misunderstanding a lot which is imparing your ability to find the problem.
Are you suggesting Saran Wrap to temporarily seal any suction leaks ?
Yes.

Find where Saran Wrap fixes the problem and you will identify the problem area.

You can also try shaving cream to see if any gets pulled into a pipe, gasket or valve in an area you coat with it. Or the pump basket turns white or bubbles out of return indicating the shaving cream.

Ps - when you say you had partner put hose in skimmer i assume the skimmer wasn’t dry? The skimmer had water already in it?

For priming the pump should be able to suck the water through you system like someone sucking on a straw… you shouldn’t need to add water into it … if the straw has a hole in it though the pump won’t pull the water to it as it will pull the air instead (least resistance etc).

I think you are misunderstanding a lot which is imparing your ability to find the problem.

Yes.

Find where Saran Wrap fixes the problem and you will identify the problem area.
Thank you. I got you on the Saran Wrap, I will try that this morning and report back.
I am not sure what you think I am misunderstanding.
Isn't priming the process of replacing air in the intake lines and portions of the pump with water ?

As far as using soap to determine where air may be lost...I got the idea from here.

Reactions: Flboy44
Ps - when you say you had partner put hose in skimmer i assume the skimmer wasn’t dry? The skimmer had water already in it?

For priming the pump should be able to suck the water through you system like someone sucking on a straw… you shouldn’t need to add water into it … if the straw has a hole in it though the pump won’t pull the water to it as it will pull the air instead (least resistance etc).
TY for response. Yes, the skimmer was not dry.
So here is what I have done...
Put lubricant on the 2 O-rings of the pump.
Ran the pump, still no suction. The pump itself, and either of the drain plugs are not leaking.
When I look at the gauge on the filter it sticks at zero water pressure.
I checked out the connections of my chlorinator, one of them does leak a little water when I turn on the pump.
I don't even use this chlorinator, so I would just as soon have a shutoff valve or even just solid PVC put there to replace.
It is hard to line up the pipes coming to and from the chlorinator because one pipe is slightly higher than the chlorinator, and one pipe is slightly lower
I can connect one side very solidly, but it messes up the other side, if that makes sense.
See below...

Attachments

• ChlorinatorConnections.png
    ChlorinatorConnections.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Chlorinator.png
    Chlorinator.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 9
Ran the pump, still no suction.

If the pump does not prime and you have no suction then you have a BIG air leak on the suction side of the pump.

Things like the soap bubbles are for finding small air leaks that put bubbles in the pool basket and out the return. You are past that. You have a BIG air leak.

When I look at the gauge on the filter it sticks at zero water pressure.

With no suction and no water flow the filter has no pressure.

I checked out the connections of my chlorinator, one of them does leak a little water when I turn on the pump.
I don't even use this chlorinator, so I would just as soon have a shutoff valve or even just solid PVC put there to replace.
It is hard to line up the pipes coming to and from the chlorinator because one pipe is slightly higher than the chlorinator, and one pipe is slightly lower
I can connect one side very solidly, but it messes up the other side, if that makes sense.

The chlorinator is on the PRESSURE side of the equipment. A leak there will have water flowing out and not have any effect on your suction.

This is what you appear not to understand in looking for the air leak on the suction side of your pump. Anything from your pump output and on is on the pressure side and is just a distraction from you finding your problem.

Show us wider views of your equipment pad and side views of your pump. Show us pics of your pump lid and gasket.

Post larger pics that can be zoomed in on to see details.

Confirm that you have the pump lid solidly on when you run the pump.

Is the edge of your pump where the lid attaches cracked or chipped?

poolsetup-png.485411

If the pump does not prime and you have no suction then you have a BIG air leak on the suction side of the pump.

Things like the soap bubbles are for finding small air leaks that put bubbles in the pool basket and out the return. You are past that. You have a BIG air leak.

With no suction and no water flow the filter has no pressure.

The chlorinator is on the PRESSURE side of the equipment. A leak there will have water flowing out and not have any effect on your suction.

This is what you appear not to understand in looking for the air leak on the suction side of your pump. Anything from your pump output and on is on the pressure side and is just a distraction from you finding your problem.
I hear you, thanks for clarifying. I had thought if I had a leak anywhere it would cause an issue but you are right, definitely suction side.
I have had this particular pool for 4 plus years and never had an issue so I was a bit perplexed on this.
But---I have made some progress !!
I disconnected the pipe coming into the suction side, and screwed it on again perhaps a little tighter. This got things rolling, my pump DOES work !
It starts to pull in the water, but then it stops after a few seconds but this is progress !!
My pool level is about 35-40 percent up the skimmer, and I think it needs to be well over 50. I am guessing it is sucking in air after the initial suction of water.
So I am filling the pool more as we speak. I also removed the hairnet I had over the skimmer basket to improve flow.
So I will test it in like an hour and report back. I DO have an issue with the connections to and from the chlorinator as they now seem to leak water like crazy.
I tried teflon taping the chlorinator male connections but that didn't help. I think the issue is what I said earlier, because the pipes are not exactly on line with the chlorinator, it doesn't make a flush connection. I don't use the chlorinator, and I thought I could just buy some type of connector to tie together the pipes if I removed the chlorinator but my local hardware store wasn't much help in finding a solution.
The pump is working though....so that is a HUGE relief !

UPDATE: The connections for the chlorinator leak on startup a lot, but barely at all once the pump is running. WHICH IT IS !
So my issue was, the connection to the pump on the suction side needed to be redone, and the pool level had to be at about 60 percent up the skimmer hole.

Attachments

• Chlorinator2.png
    Chlorinator2.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Chlorinator3.png
    Chlorinator3.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Chlorinatorconnection.png
    Chlorinatorconnection.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
So my issue was, the connection to the pump on the suction side needed to be redone, and the pool level had to be at about 60 percent up the skimmer hole.

I am glad you found the problem once you focused on the right area of your plumbing.

Cut your chlorinator out and get some PVC and couplers and glue a piece of PVC in its place.

Reactions: Flboy44

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.