Pump won't prime, air, after cleaning filter basket

Aug 14, 2016
San Jose, CA
Everything has been running just fine. Frankly, we've been afraid to touch the system for fear of messing something up. And we did. We opened the pump filter basket lid to clean it out, and it was basically empty though it hadn't been emptied since before September. Wasn't necessary. But now... the pump won't prime and there is air in the system.

Let me say that I've watched my former pool guy open that lid and empty the basket a half dozen times. He didn't even ever fill it back up with water before closing it and running it, and it always worked just fine for him and continued to after he left. Last year we attempted to open and empty the basket ourselves, and then the system wouldn't prime and run properly. He came, opened it, closed it, turned it on, all worked just fine. He thought maybe our water was low and removed that stopper in the skimmer basket because it was opening and closing preventing water to go through it at all times. All has been running just fine since.

This Saturday, we decided to open the filter basket and clean it out since it's been a while. Open lid, empty basket, reinsert basket, fill with water (as we saw on youtube and it even says so on the basket lid), put lid back on tight, turned on the pump and it primed and ran just fine.

Sunday morning, woke up at 6am when the pump turned on because it was running loud. Went out to see water churning in the filter basket and no water going up through the tube into the filter itself. You could see it trying, but it just couldn't do it. Turned it all off and went back to bed. Researched and thought that we must not have put the lid on tight enough/properly, etc. Went out later, opened the lid (which wasn't as tight as the day before) saw no issues with the o-rings or anything else we could see, filled it with water, closed it and it ran just fine. Primed itself and ran for a few hours.

Sunday evening, I checked it after it shut off and the tube (which is clear) was still full with water, as it usually is. It was a closed system, holding the water tight just fine.

This morning I went out to peek at it before it turned on and the pipe was filled with water, as was the filter area. It all looked good.

At 7am when the filter kicked on, it ran super loud. Ran out to see that it wasn't priming and water was churning in the filter basket, the pipe showed water trying to rise up to the filter but couldn't make it, and air bubbles were coming out of the pool returns.

We are stumped. This should be a super easy maintenance item. We're afraid that if we can't even do this, how in the world are we supposed to maintain the actual DE filter.

Any clues??? As I said, all was perfectly fine before we opened the lid, and it seems OK if we fill with water and run, but it's not turning on and priming and running by itself now. Nothing else was touched.

Thanks.
Tracy

Tracy,

The number one reason for a pump that will not prime well is a suction side air leak. I notice nowhere in your post where you said that you lubed the O-Ring..

Just because it is not very expensive, I suggest you buy a new O-Ring and coat it with "Pool-Lube" reinstall it and see if that fixes your problem.

If that does not solve the issue, then please post a picture of your equipment pad showing your main pump and filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

We won't be able to get to that until maybe this weekend. But that still doesn't make sense. Yesterday morning we filled the filter basket with water and turned it on and let it run and it was fine. In the evening, I peeked in on it and it was still primed, in that the tube was still completely full of water, as was the filter basket that I could see. Out of curiosity, I turned the pump on and it ran just fine. Early this morning, pump still looked full of water and ready to go. When it kicked on by the timer, it didn't run right. Unfortunately, I wasn't standing there when it turned on, but when I went out, same problem, barely any water trying to make its way up the pipe to the filter, churning in the basket, bubbles in the pool. Where did that water go that was primed? How did it suddenly lose that pressure? Why doesn't it do that when we turn it on manually? I will post a link to my pictures of the pump after work tonight.

I am so sorry for doubting you!! We tightened some loose screws on the valve that we thought might be the problem, but nope. Yesterday we got a new o-ring and some lube and ran the system. This morning, it turned on and primed just fine all by itself. I guess that was the problem!! (Of course, I will be checking each morning for a couple more days to make sure it's really fixed.) We are looking into having someone come to our home and inspect our system and explain to us how to use it. I think that alone will make us feel SO much more confident. Right now, we don't really understand it and are afraid to touch it. Thanks again!

Tracy,

Well, it makes sense to test it for a few days to make sure...

I highly recommend a "mechanical" pool school where an experienced pool guy can explain what each valve does, what the pump does, what the filter does, etc. Since you have a DE filter it would be important to know how to "Backwash" and "Disassemble and Clean" your filter. Would also be nice to know how to adjust the time that your pump runs, what the skimmers are for, and how often to clean the skimmer baskets.

All that said... I would not listen to a single word about how they "chemically" take care of a pool. Unless you want to be the proud owner of a green swamp, you need to get all your chemical questions answered here at TFP.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.