pump to filter hose blows off

Jun 19, 2016
Woodville/Alabama
Help, We had a new pump and sand filter installed last year. last week twice the heavy rubber hose from the pump to the filter blew off draining the pool below the skimmer intake. I replaced it and clamped it tighter. 2 days later it blew off again. I assumed I hadn't gotten it down all the way on the pump pipe so I greased it with Vaseline and pushed it sown all the way and clamped it tightly again. Next day it was off. Lots of expensive water wasted. I need to know why it blew off in the first place and what to do. My son told me it had done the same thing last year but he hadn't told me but just shoved it back on and tightened the clamp. The clamp is the slotted metal sort with a screw that one must turn to tighten it. I need all the advice I can get. I do not have great amounts of physical strength as I am 67 years old.
The pool man I consulted on the phone told me to get all the grease off and put the hose back on and try 2 clamps.
Belinda\sewingmom

In the short run, is there any way you can put the hose clamps back on, then wire around the screw part back to something on either end to hold it until a better solution can be found?

You may need to replace the hose, clean all the vasoline off the fitting on the pump, and get someone with more brute strength to tighten the clamps for you. Also check the fitting on the pump. It should have ridges on it to help grip the hose, and make sure there are no cracks. The best way to resolve the problem would be to have the pool hard plumbed with PVC. You may want to look into that at the end of pool season.

Use an open end wrench to tighten the hose clamp. A screwdriver rarely provides sufficient torque to secure it. The slot is only to tighten it quickly until you use the wrench.

Hmm, It was Installed with 1 clamp and it tightens around a plastic pipe. (Looks like a cheap rig) I am at the mercy of the salesmen and suppliers and installers. It was sold to us last year and installed by the only nearby installer, supplier. We bought the pool, pump, filter and all several years ago when there was a boom in spa sales. The pool has a 25 year warranty. My husband had a brain hemorrhage Jan 2013 and had not yet shut down the pool. The pump froze. The original pump and filter looked much sturdier. The man who sold it to us went out of business. We live in a rural area an I am on my on to get things done. Simple remedies are the best or me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.