South Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I recently bought of of those fountains you attach to your returns to try and lower the temp in the pool for the summer. Works great but needs a higher speed on the pump. I already have 4 pump speed options in screen logic (pool,spa,pool high,spillway) and I’m trying add a 5th feature for a “high speed” that’s even higher than pool high To really get the fountain going high.

Issue is that I’ve added it in screenlogic configure just like the other features I’ve done except it’s not a showing under my pump speed options in regular screenlogic. It’s shows under pool mode where I set it, but not the pump. Screenshots below for reference. Is there a max amount of features you can set for pump speeds on a VSF? Or am I doing something wrong here. Thanks!

Attachments

• B081C5EF-1871-42CB-BBB4-19EB4BBA935A.png
    B081C5EF-1871-42CB-BBB4-19EB4BBA935A.png
    651.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 0F405442-DDD7-4DA6-A951-AD6ACF426EAD.png
    0F405442-DDD7-4DA6-A951-AD6ACF426EAD.png
    665.1 KB · Views: 5
Do you have Screenlogic2 on a PC.

Sone things are easier to do on the PC then the app.

@Jimrahbe

j,

When you set it up, did you do it in SLConfig under "set up IntelliFlo"? If you did I have no idea why it does not show under your pump speeds.

Did you set it up as a Feature Circuit or did you use an Aux circuit?

I mostly use my PC, but it lets me select where I want the item to show. See the following screenshot... Where is says "Show on..."

Note that under "Circuits" I see the same "Show on..." when on my phone.

Thanks,

Jim R.

j,

When you set it up, did you do it in SLConfig under "set up IntelliFlo"? If you did I have no idea why it does not show under your pump speeds.

Did you set it up as a Feature Circuit or did you use an Aux circuit?

I mostly use my PC, but it lets me select where I want the item to show. See the following screenshot... Where is says "Show on..."

Note that under "Circuits" I see the same "Show on..." when on my phone.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim

You nailed it and it was totally a brain fade on my end. I completely forgot to go to the intelliflo section on SLCongif and add the feature there as well. I guess it’s been longer than I thought editing my automation!

Quick follow up question though. Is there a speed you think is too high to run for too long that risks damaging the pump? In order to get a good fountain height I need to have it pretty high (about 3000rpm), but the whole idea might not be worth it if it means running my pump and ultra high speeds for too long just for a couple degrees cooler water.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
j,

In theory running the pump at 3000 RPM should not damage the pump at all.

It will, however, cost a lot more from the electrical point of view.

I have my doubts that you will see much of a cooling effect but could be way off base.. How about some feedback after you have used it for a few days and tell us how well it is working for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

j,

In theory running the pump at 3000 RPM should not damage the pump at all.

It will, however, cost a lot more from the electrical point of view.

I have my doubts that you will see much of a cooling effect but could be way off base.. How about some feedback after you have used it for a few days and tell us how well it is working for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.
As long as there is no damage I’m willing to try the experiment for a week and report back! The water coming out of the fountain is definitely colder, just have to see how it stacks up against 95* and the sun shining all day. South Louisiana is rough in the summer!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
As long as there is no damage I’m willing to try the experiment for a week and report back! The water coming out of the fountain is definitely colder, just have to see how it stacks up against 95* and the sun shining all day. South Louisiana is rough in the summer!
Here to report back good and bad news.

Good news is the high speed option worked perfect on the schedule and got the water shooting up high.

Bad news is that the water temp didn’t drop a degree and doesn’t feel any cooler either.

Any other suggestions anyone has heard to lower pool temps during the summer?

Allen,

I am not sure anything evaporates in South Louisiana. :mrgreen:

I used to live in Arizona when I was a kid, and we had swamp coolers that would freeze you out of the house. We tried that when we move to Texas, and it was just like living in a swamp. :shark:

Thanks,

Jim R.

You need to breakup the stream to get more of a misting for cooling.

The cooling comes from the evaporation of the mist.

Ya I have a feeling it’s not getting high enough to actually evaporate. It’s only about 3’ out the water and that’s with a pump speed of 3200. Trying to keep it at a minimal eyesore but it’s not cutting it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Allen,

I am not sure anything evaporates in South Louisiana. :mrgreen:

I used to live in Arizona when I was a kid, and we had swamp coolers that would freeze you out of the house. We tried that when we move to Texas, and it was just like living in a swamp. :shark:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim is right. We leave the kids swim suits outside to dry out sometimes and after a few hours in direct sun they are still damp! It’s a different animal down here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.