Pump Run Time in Pool

Robsurfsit

May 12, 2020
San Diego
Hello,
I wanted some advice on run times for my 30,000 gallon inground pool. I have Pentair Whisperflow single speed pump. Now that we are getting into the warm/hot months (April-August) I wanted to ask:
1. Is it OK to run my pump for 6 hours a day or does it have to be 8-10 as suggested?
2. I would like to run my pump at night (off peak electricity hours) from 12:00 am - 6:00 am. Instead of during the day. Is this OK?

As you can probably guess, I am trying to save money on my power bill.

Thank you for the help,
Rob

Run time is based on what is needed to produce chlorine (if using a SWG), heat the water (if using a heater), and clean the pool. Anything more than that is wasting money.

I find I can get away with about 30 minutes a day. I seem to be on the low end, most people around here run more hours - but I will also say, many of them also have SWG and/or heaters and/or VSPs that work much more efficiently. Anything from 6-24 hours seems pretty typical.

Cheaper electric at night is very much a reason to run overnight. Some people prefer to run during the day to generate chlorine with SWG while the sun is consuming chlorine, or have to run during the day for their solar heater to work. For the rest of us, it really doesn't matter when the pump runs.

Try running it 6 hours. If your water still looks clean enough for you, try running it 5 or 5.5. If it's not clean enough at 6, bump it up to 7. Trial and error and personal preference.

30 minutes a day?? Wow! I envy you!
Thank you for the response and help. I do not have a SWG so I will give it a try at night and see how it goes.
I just was not sure if the sun and debris being blown in it was a reason to run it in the day.

I'm on a TOU plan and solar. I primarily run during "Super Off-Peak" hours, 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. I'm at about 8 hours per night now between medium and low speed. With afternoon winds blowing debris into the pool, I started running the pump low speed a couple of hours during the afternoon hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.