Pump Reviews...

I bought my Pentair pump from Amazon. It came defective. Although Pentair stood behind the warranty, I'll warn you that they told me they are considering dropping support and warranty from items bought from Amazon or other unauthorized online retailers.

bobodaclown said:
The variable speed motors (VSM) are more efficient than a two-speed motor, but, depending on your electric rates, the additional cost of the the VSM doesn't over a two-speed you never recoup the cost difference in savings.
With the two-speed you run on half the speed, move half the water, but you save more than 1/2 on the electric. (I forget the exact details, but it's a much better return on investment.)

The motor you have listed with the time built in is a pretty good deal. You may also want to consider the 2ez speed.
http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/detail/129176.htm

I spoke about them in this link: great-find-2ez-speed-75hp-square-flange-2-speed-300-t42909.html?hilit=2%20speed

I was going to go with it (the 2ez .75hp), but my system is 115V not 230V. I've gone with a manual switch and a 115V .75hp motor.

Also you'll need a new shaft seal about $10 bucks or so. I brought my parts to a local place and they charged $20 to swap the motor and replace the seal. No problems.

This looks like a heck of a deal....
However I just called them and attempted to talk to one of the dumbest most uninformed sales/techs(?) ever...I had to get off the phone.

scratchedup said:
OPINIONS?

I would never buy a T-series motor for the same reason I never bought a TV with the VCR built-in. Whenever one of two components breaks, you lose both and have to send both to be repaired. If one is shot, you have to replace both. With a separate timer, you can still operate your filter manually if the timer breaks. I don't know anything about the reliability of the T-series (they haven't been out that long) but the old gear driven Intermatics are pretty bullet-proof. I'd go with a two-speed pump and separate timer. Plus the price premium of the T-series over a straight two-speed is pretty steep, so there is little if any cost saving there.

Durk said:
scratchedup said:
OPINIONS?

I would never buy a T-series motor for the same reason I never bought a TV with the VCR built-in. Whenever one of two components breaks, you lose both and have to send both to be repaired. If one is shot, you have to replace both. With a separate timer, you can still operate your filter manually if the timer breaks. I don't know anything about the reliability of the T-series (they haven't been out that long) but the old gear driven Intermatics are pretty bullet-proof. I'd go with a two-speed pump and separate timer. Plus the price premium of the T-series over a straight two-speed is pretty steep, so there is little if any cost saving there.

call me uninformed but I really dont understand T series....

Looks to me like the pump has a flange on the motor housing that bolts up to the pump. Not sure how the T relates to the timer.
"(they haven't been out that long)".....I have no knowledge or background here.

I got this replacement last summer and it works great. Looks like its not a T but duno...

T-Series has a timer mounted on top of the motor like this:

images

The motor you are showing does not have a timer. I would agree that it would be more prudent to purchase them separately rather than integrated. But sometimes the cost can be compelling to go with the all in one.

Intermatic timer I mentioned earlier. Fits into an existing intermatic box (does hi/low, on/off):
$150 Delivered. Intermatic | Electronic Time Switches | Electronic Timer Mechanisms | P1403ME Part for Model : PE153
http://www.webpoolsupply.com/intermatic ... s-p1403me/

$250 Delivered. B2980 3/4 HP - Square - 56Y - 230V - Threaded - Full Rate - 1.67 SF - 2 Speed
http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?main ... 7AodWzEATg

$400 for the setup similar to the T-series or 2EZ with the timer attached. I believe if the timer goes you can replace it with the intermatic down the road, or if the motor goes first you can replace the motor.

You could get the mechanical times (T104/106) with the dual housing for cheaper I believe. They are pretty bullet proof. That is the lowest I've seen the digital timers for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went through this same decision a month ago and went with the Hayward maxflo vs I found on Amazon for $600....it's not the inteliflo or ecostar at those prices above $1000 but it's still vs and I did the math and it made economic sense and the investment pays for itself in less than three years with my rate at $.11/kwh. I think it was only slightly less efficient than the premium models while several hundred less perhaps due to less digital and programming capabilities....just my own experience....I would run the numbers yourself to figure out your initial cost plus cost to operate for ten years and choose...that's how I made my decision....maxflo was the cheapest to buy and run for ten years...

The MaxFlo VS and SuperPump VS, both from Hayward, are a great deal as long as you don't mind their limitations. The efficiency is excellent and the pumps works well. The only real limitation is that you can't get external control over the pump speed. You can program three speed. It starts up at one speed for a programable amount of time, and then switches to a second speed for the remainder of the time it is on. The third speed is available only from the control panel on the pump. The only external control possible is on/off.

Pentair has some new pumps that are very similar to the two above, except that they allow external control over the speed. However, they are very new and there is no feedback on how well they work just yet.

Less then 2 years and it appears this motor has failed.
When power is applied it just makes a thud/click noise and does not turn. Is there a way to check the capacitor?

NOTE- I control 2 speed ops through my Autopilot SWG controller so I have electrically by-passed the controller on the motor.

L1160739.jpg

L1170069.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.