*Pump Replacement

BsPool

May 13, 2015
Ohio
Hey all,

Had some issues with our pump not wanting to turn on last year, so going to replace and looking for suggestions. To save on electric, I'd like to go with a variable speed pump. Other than that I don't know what else to shop for (or where). I don't mind spending a little more if the electrical savings make up for it. I've attached some pics of our setup for reference.

We also need to replace a few plumbing pieces. For example, the filter drain leaks somewhat, so want to replace that. Would you suggest having the company that we use to open the pool, fix the plumping and install the pump - or do they charge more (than say) a regular plumber? Just curious.

Thanks in advance!
B

Attachments

• Pump_Filter_Lines.jpg
    Pump_Filter_Lines.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Sticker.jpg
    Sticker.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 59
You can use either Hayward Tristar VSP, or a Pentair Intelliflo VSP. I’m biased towards Hayward because that’s what I have. If you have automation, you would need to match the brand of pump, to the brand of automation you have.

Having it installed by a professional pool company will give you the extended warranty that you can not get if self installed. :cheers:

Ok... finally have some time to get back to this. Thanks for your reply Arizonab! I don't have automation and don't plan on going that route. Our pool is pretty easy to take care of as it is.

I called the pool company - and would like to double check a few things with the forum's help. I was told that if I want to go with a Hayward VS pump, the model to look for is the 2607VSP. I can save about $140 if I purchase on my own, but will not get the extended warranty (even with the pool company installing). But, here's my question... the Hayward 2607VSP has a 1.5" inlet and my lines measure 2". Did the company suggest the wrong model? If so, could someone on here suggest the correct Hayward VSP by chance?

Another thing I'm curious about... the pool company told me they actually don't like automation because they don't believe in turning the motor on and off because it causes more wear and tear than continuous running. They compared it to turning a car on and off in terms of "stress". Is this true? I have always, and plan to turn our pump off when not needed. We have a single switch that cuts power to all of the equipment.

Thanks again!
B

With a VS pump, you have power to it all the time. They have a built in timer/scheduler to set your run times, rpms, etc.
Some members leave their pumps on 24/7, others cycle them several times a day. I have not seen any difference in life for either case. What does seem to effect life is oversizing the pump so you do not run it at high rpms to achieve your needs. Since you do not have a SWCG nor a water powered cleaner you should be able to run at low rpms and even run 24 hours per day with minimal electric expense.

I have no experience with Hayward pumps. It is typically recommended here to get the full size VS pump. You just use as much of its hp as you need, when you need it.

B, here is the pump that I have on my setup. SP3202VSP
Again, I’m biased towards Hayward, but I can say I love that pump.
I’m going to ping a couple of pump gurus that know more about the different models to give you a better overview. @JamesW @mas985
That is also the pump that was recommended for my setup, not installed yet but should be soon

Reactions: BsPool
Looks like the Hayward superpump I replaced (well yours might have had a dryend replacement at some point). Yours is 1HPx1.5sf=1.5THP.

I went with the Hayward Maxflo VS SP2302VSP. It relies on an external timer to trigger "on" and "off", but it handles the changing of speeds after start. No electrical work was needed except for disconnect, reconnect. Years ago, I got mine from a 3rd party via Amazon for $600. I also got a $400 credit from my utility for moving to an energy start variable speed pump. It payed for itself in no more than 2 seasons.

Look for rebate possibilities here: https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/utility-rebates

I was told that if I want to go with a Hayward VS pump, the model to look for is the 2607VSP.
I don't believe there is such a pump model. I think what they might have been suggesting is the SP26700 series pump which is basically the same pump you have now but in a VS format. That way you could just pull out the motor of your current pump and put in the impeller/motor of the new pump without having to change any plumbing.

However, from the picture, it looks like there have been some leaks on to the pump so I would just bite the bullet and replumb but this time with unions if the pump does not come with them. You can go with pretty much any pump you want. You don't "need" any specific brand or series of pump.

Is both 220v and 110v available? That may dictate what pump you get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would go with a larger pump than the MaxFlo VS or SuperPump VS. With those you will need to run at higher RPM which is noisier. The TriStar or Intelliflo would be a better choice and allow for a wider range of flow rates should it be needed.

I don't believe there is such a pump model. I think what they might have been suggesting is the SP26700 series pump which is basically the same pump you have now but in a VS format. That way you could just pull out the motor of your current pump and put in the impeller/motor of the new pump without having to change any plumbing.

However, from the picture, it looks like there have been some leaks on to the pump so I would just bite the bullet and replumb but this time with unions if the pump does not come with them. You can go with pretty much any pump you want. You don't "need" any specific brand or series of pump.

Is both 220v and 110v available? That may dictate what pump you get.

Here's a link to the suggest VS: Hayward SP2603VSP Super Pump VS Variable Speed Pump, 230V - The Pool Supplies Superstore

So it's out there. I'm fine with and would rather replace with a new pump. I got my meter out to check the voltage, but it's not working :/ I guess I'll have to buy a new one to check. Thanks!

Yea, with my superpump, I had all 2" PVC and reduced going in/out of the pump. The max flo family can take either 1.5 or 2" Additionally, they have unions so pump removal (and checking that top leak) is a cinch.

Ok - thanks! I figured they could join the join with a union (reducing to the 1.5"). I just didn't know if that would have a negative effect on the water flow for any reason (given the size reduction).

I would go with a larger pump than the MaxFlo VS or SuperPump VS. With those you will need to run at higher RPM which is noisier. The TriStar or Intelliflo would be a better choice and allow for a wider range of flow rates should it be needed.

I would prefer a quiet pump, so I'll definitely check out the suggested models. Thanks!

**Any chance you can provide direct links? There are several models coming up for the MaxFlo VS and SuperPump VS with different hp ratings. I'm definitely not an expert and want to be sure I choose the correct pump. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a better pump if it's going to save on energy costs (just FYI). Thanks again!

Last edited:
I called the pool company - and would like to double check a few things with the forum's help. I was told that if I want to go with a Hayward VS pump, the model to look for is the 2607VSP.
In your second post, you quoted a SP2607VSP which does not exist.

The SP2603VSP is a very small pump and would work ok but would need to be run at a higher RPM than a larger VS and would be a bit noisier. If you don't care about that, then this one is fine.

**Any chance you can provide direct links? There are several models coming up for the MaxFlo VS and SuperPump VS with different hp ratings. I'm definitely not an expert and want to be sure I choose the correct pump. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a better pump if it's going to save on energy costs (just FYI). Thanks again!

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Inte...o&qid=1553875133&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P93CVF/ref=twister_B077ZL48CD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need surge protection for the pumps. The Intelliflo above comes with it.

In your second post, you quoted a SP2607VSP which does not exist.

Ahh yes... that was a typo.

The SP2603VSP is a very small pump and would work ok but would need to be run at a higher RPM than a larger VS and would be a bit noisier. If you don't care about that, then this one is fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Inte...o&qid=1553875133&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P93CVF/ref=twister_B077ZL48CD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need surge protection for the pumps. The Intelliflo above comes with it.

Is the surge protector needed for these simply bc they're larger and have more hp? Is a surge protector then not needed for the SP260VSP? Just curious.

Liking all that I'm reading about the Hayward in your link (Hayward SP3206VSP 2.7 HP Variable-Speed Pool Pump, TriStar VS). It is expensive though! I'll have to check to see if we can get any rebates. We're also going to have the install expense and the surge protector expense if we go with this one. Hmmm... Got some more figuring out to do.

Thanks again for all of the input!

On a side note, going by the pics I attached originally... does anyone notice or suggest updating or changing anything else (plumbing, valves etc...) while replacing the pump? I'm no plumber or electrician and my only pool knowledge has come from here - so figured I'd ask.

I appreciate every bit of feedback - thanks all! (y)

Yes, ditch that plastic T-handle ball valve right before the pump. They don’t last long and tend to break easily. I would then install a 3 way Jandy valve right where the current 3way T is. (To the left of the blue valve in the picture)
That way if you need to remove the pump for some reason, (you’ll have union fittings installed on the new pump) you can easily isolate the plumbing from the pump.

Seeing as you’re in a cold area, if it where my setup, I would remove the pump for the winter, and store it inside out of the elements. Your pump will thank you in the long run. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.