*Pump Replacement

If your filter pressure is low that implies a suction side leak or restriction. Check that your weir door is not stuck. Take the skimmer basket out and see if you can feel the water going into the suction pipe. Do not get your hand/fingers pulled into the pipe.

Are there bubbles/air in your pump basket lid?
We don't have a weir door, it's just an open skimmer. Didn't really see any bubbles. I went ahead and primed the system (turned 3-way to off and filled the pump basket with water and started it back up). During the prime, the pressure was at 30. After priming finished, I set it to Speed 4, pressure stayed at 30. Changed it to Speed 3 (2500 rpm) and the pressure dropped to 20. Changed it to Speed 2 and pressure dropped to 10. Reversed it and pressure would go up when I upped the rpms. So you're saying that no matter whether I up the rpms or lower them, the pressure should always remain the same?

I have it running on Speed 3 currently. Want to try and keep the water circulating, but not sure what's going on with the pressure drop :/

Pressure will change based on rate. But if you had no water flow out the return as you said, then the pressure would be high regardless of the pump rpm. Unless it is a suction side issue, which you just showed it is not. I think your filter is clogged with algae.

Pressure will change based on rate. But if you had no water flow out the return as you said, then the pressure would be high regardless of the pump rpm. Unless it is a suction side issue, which you just showed it is not. I think your filter is clogged with algae.
Ok, I should more time tomorrow to clean the filter. Do you think backwashing is enough, or would you suggest taking the lid off (tons of bolts) and actually spraying out the "fingers"?

Ok, here's what I got...
FC: .5 (1 drop to clear)
pH: 7.6
TA: 140
CH: 260
CYA: 0 (I assume). After mixing the water was still really clear and the dot at the bottom of the tube never disappeared.

*We have the electrician coming 1st thing tomorrow morning to wire the surge protectors and I don't have time to attend to the pool now today. With that said, I'm going to leave the pump turned off until tomorrow when I can get back at it. Thinking I should go ahead and add some liquid chlorine (I picked up a case of shock) - thoughts?

With the backwashed water being clear, I'm not sure what's going on with the pressure. For what it's worth, the guy at the pool store told me that you really can't run the VS pumps at less than 1800rpms anyway. You guys know more me than me obviously - just figured I'd mention what he said.

I found the leak on the heater. It's where the water lines come run into the side. I'm hoping it's just a gasket.

Another year of not so much "Trouble Free". Oh well, we'll get there. As always, I really appreciate the help. Any additional suggestions are definitely welcome!

Thanks again!

If you can't run a VS pump under 1800 rpm there are a whole lot of us that have absolutely no clue what we are doing.

You need chlorine. And I suspect you need to break down the filter and clean it. But I have to admit, the data you have provided does not make sense.

Take care.

Reactions: Arizonarob
If you can't run a VS pump under 1800 rpm there are a whole lot of us that have absolutely no clue what we are doing.

You need chlorine. And I suspect you need to break down the filter and clean it. But I have to admit, the data you have provided does not make sense.

Take care.
I wasn't questioning your knowledge at all - everyone on here really knows what they're talking about! Of course his comment took me by surprise, so I just wanted to mention it.

I'm back home and checked the FC again. Obviously it dropped. I went ahead and added another gallon of the 10% just to get something in there. Storms will be here soon, so I turned the pump off and will check it out again tomorrow after the surge protector is wired.

*I remembered that I didn't check the filter pressure changes when cycling speeds and jet the pressure again after backwashing earlier today. So for grins, I primed the pump and started it up for a few. I cycled from Speed 4, to Speed 3 and then down to Speed 2 (which is set to 1750 rpm). I had water/pressure out of the jets this time! I wonder, although the backwash water was clean, it still got rid enough algae to help it run better? Since I haven't added more DE just yet, I'm going to backwash again in the morning and see if the jet pressure is still good.

Looks like I'll need to reduce my TA, get the CYA up and of course get going on the Chlorine/SLAMing.

Appreciate the help!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.