Pump Replacement 2-speed to Variable Speed Pump & Panel Upgrade Advice

maxxis

Oct 3, 2007
Seattle, WA
Hi all,
Looking for advice on replacing my failing rebuilt Whisperflo II 2-speed 1-hp 240V pump controlled by a 2004 Intellitouch/easy touch P4 system (motherboard upgraded to UOC: 2.160, Bootloader UOC: 1.010). In addition to the pump, the system controls a Jandy Valve for the solar panels, the pool light, and electrical outlets I have assigned to control a rock fountain w/lights.

The pump started to smell of burning electronics and not turning. I've since turned it off. Being a noob wrt Variable Speed Pumps, I went to Pentair's site to see what would be a good VSP replacement, but their jargon and lack of ability to compare features has left me scratching my head. My pool is ~30,000 gal and is heated by solar panels. My electric bill is through the roof, and I want to take advantage of the cost savings a VSP is supposed to provide.

1. I'm looking for a low-cost reliable replacement that can be controlled by the panel, but I don't understand what I'm getting with each model that justifies the higher prices as you move up the features.
2. The panel is currently set for 2-speed, but I don't understand how a VSP supposed to be configured/controlled if the control panel does not offer options set VSP speeds?
3. What are the TFP recommended flow/time VSP settings to cycle the water properly in the Fall/Winter/Spring months vs. Summer. I'm in Seattle, so the weather leaves the water temp at around ~56 F in the Fall/Spring, ~52 F in the Winter, and then it can get up to 80 F in the Summer.
4. I'm investigating an upgrade to my panel, mainly because I cannot get the two-speed relay to switch when scheduled, so I have to manually do it. I have an old panel that I'd like to be able to control via WiFi. What is the recommended setup? Do I have to replace my Intellitouch power panel entirely, or can I just upgrade the components? If the latter, what are the recommended components to cost-effectively upgrade the panel?

TIA!
M.

M,

EasyTouch systems are designed to control IntelliFlo VS pumps I think with F/W 2.160, you should not have any issues.. But just to make sure let's ask Tom.. Calling @ogdento

I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo that I run 24/7/365 at 1200 RPM most of the time.. To run the pump this way costs me less than $20 bucks a month.. The main reason that I run 24/7 is that I have a SWCG and like making a little chlorine all the time and I also like the constant skimming action.

The bigger the pump, the more water it can move at a lower RPM.

I suspect the problem is you and not the EasyTouch when it comes to controlling a 2 speed pump... The pump should automatically run at low speed unless you have a circuit that calls for high speed. Tell us more about the exact problem you are having.. What do you expect to run at low speed and what do you expect to run at high speed...

The only why to control the EasyTouch from your phone or PC is to either add ScreenLogic for about $500 bucks or to upgrade to the new IntelliCenter which costs about $1,200 bucks.

Thanks,

Jim R.

you should be good running ET 2.160 with a VS pump. As far as I can tell, there have been 2 updates since 2.160... there was no 2.170, but there is a 2.180 and a 2.190. There are no release notes in the 2.190 zip from Pentair, but 2.180 had this:

Version 2.180 4/01/19
  • Support Hybrid Heater
  • Fixed several issues with the VSF pump
  • Fixed a number of minor issues
  • Fix long standing bug with Pool-Spa-Cleaner interlock

Hey Jim @Jimrahbe you said your cost to run the pump is about $20/mo... I'm wondering how many watts it is? Or approx what is your cost per kWh? We're about .25 per kWh here.

Hi @Jimrahbe,
I didn't think about upsizing the HPs, great idea! Yeah, I'd like to do the same. My electric bill is over $250/mo!
To address your suggestion re: Easytouch. The pump fails to switch between Hi/Lo on the assigned schedule. I'm unable to activate the Low speed using the panel buttons either. I've resorted to swapping the Low/Hi-speed cables to the relay in order to do backwashing, draining, etc. I replaced the 2s relay and the motherboard and it still doesn't switch. :mad:

Thanks for the tip on the upgrade options!
Thanks,
M

Max,

I still doubt the 2 speed problem is the EasyTouch sounds more like a programming issue to me..

Go to Menu, Settings, 2-speed pump, and tell me what it says under 1/4, then 2/4, then 3/4, and 4/4... You should see which circuits are configured to run at high speed.. My guess it that you have the "Pool" circuit set up to run high speed.. This means that it will never run low speed as long as you are in the pool mode. If this is true, you need to remove the Pool circuit from the list. Then make a new feature or Aux circuit and call it high speed and add to the list in place of "Pool".. Then.. with the Pool circuit on, you also turn on the new High speed circuit which will make the pump run at high speed by switching the 2-speed relay to high...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Tom,

At 1200 RPM, ScreenLogic shows the pump using about 175 watts... If I had a newer VSF pump it would be about 100 or so...

I pay about 10 or 11 cents per KWH I figured it up a while back and it was about 12$ bucks a month, but I always say "less than $20 bucks" just because my electrical rates are not as high as some..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ogdento
Hayward Tristar 950 on 2" piping
@ 600 RPMs, flows 15 GPM, uses 27 watts
@ 750 RPMs, 22 GPM, 52 watts
@ 1000 RPMs, 32 GPM, 85 watts
@ 1250 RPMs, 42 GPM, 148 watts
@ 1500 RPMs , 50 GPM, 230 watts.
@ 1750 RPMs, 58 GPM, 350 watts
@ 2000 RPMs, 65 GPM, 494 watts
@ 2500 RPMs, 85 GPM, 932 watts
@ 3000 RPMs, 102 GPM, 1594 watts
@ 3450 RPMs, 115+ GPM, 2418 watts

Reactions: ogdento
Max,

I still doubt the 2 speed problem is the EasyTouch sounds more like a programming issue to me..

Go to Menu, Settings, 2-speed pump, and tell me what it says under 1/4, then 2/4, then 3/4, and 4/4... You should see which circuits are configured to run at high speed.. My guess it that you have the "Pool" circuit set up to run high speed.. This means that it will never run low speed as long as you are in the pool mode. If this is true, you need to remove the Pool circuit from the list. Then make a new feature or Aux circuit and call it high speed and add to the list in place of "Pool".. Then.. with the Pool circuit on, you also turn on the new High speed circuit which will make the pump run at high speed by switching the 2-speed relay to high...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi @Jimrahbe ,
I think I configured it correctly. Attached are pics of the menus you requested, along with the other menus of circuit names.

Thanks,
Miguel

Attachments

• Speed & Circuits.pdf
    882.2 KB · Views: 6
Miguel,

Looks to me like you have just named your Pool circuit as "Lo-Temp".. Then you assigned Lo-Temp to run at high speed. :scratch:

As a test, change 2-speed pump setting #2/4 from "Lo-Temp" to "None". And then see if your pump runs at low speed in the pool mode, and high speed in the spa mode..

Thanks for the pics..

Jim R.

Jim,
YOU ARE A LIFESAVER!!! I have been manually swapping the leads for 3 years! I owe you 🍻should you ever come up this way! That Dang setting was what the tech set, which is what I had set on my original panel before (I wonder if something changed between generations) but we were both wrong...even though it worked before and then suddenly didn't. Not sure what happened. I thought #2/1 was supposed to be set to the spa and #2/2 was supposed to be the second to coincide with the low speed. I didn't realize that any circuits set in those slots would be associated with the Hi-speed circuit. So confused. Anyway, TY TY TY!!!
were not worthy waynes world GIF

Now I just have to figure out which VSP I should get. The Pentair site sucks for comparing pump features and capabilities. My local pool company suggested an Intelliflow 3 HP pump, but I'm wondering what the other models offer, i.e. SuperFlo, IntelliflowXF, etc... Maybe someone can provide some insight and advice.

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Miguel,

You can, if you want, set up a Feature Circuit for when you want to run the pump at High speed when in the Pool mode.

Just find an unused Aux Circuit or Feature circuit and name it "High" (or whatever you want).. Then add the new circuit "High" to 2-speed #2/4 (Where "Low-Temp" used to be.)

The way this works is that you leave the Pool mode on and also turn on the "High" circuit.. Turning the High Circuit on and off will switch the pump between High or Low speed.

I know it costs more, but you do not want the SuperFlo VS, you should get the IntelliFlo VS 011028 or VSF 011056. Either will work just fine for your application.

I like these guys, but if nothing else this site will give you a price reference... IntelliFlo VS / VSF

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.