Pump Question

TishTash

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2018
Merrick, NY
Don't judge me too harshly, but I accidentally left the inlet valve closed overnight, while my (Hayward) pump engaged via timer. No explosions or floods, and (now that I've opened the valve) the pump's running well without any leaks (yet). But!:
a) how likely is there permanent internal damage?
b) would there have been some kind of failsafe trip that shut down the pump at some point?

Sorry if any of these are obvious questions, either to the positive or negative. Thanks for any insights, as always.

a) how hot was the pump (not the motor) when you found it? If it is working, then not likely any damage.
b) Not usually. Some automation setups have a way to sense for flow and turn off the pump. Otherwise the motor will just shut off if it overheats (which would likely be well after damage to the pump itself would have occurred.

Keep an eye out for any water leaks around the pump and motor.

Reactions: TishTash
There's an infrequent drip around a pipe NEAR the pump (past it), but that appears to be a leaky joint. The pump was/is cool, the housing seems intact and unaffected (at least outwardly), and maintains pretty propulsive flow w/usual PSI. My hope is it miraculously turned off not too far into running dry for whatever reason, before anything tragically drastic occurred. I just need to triple-check whenever I leave the pool that all valves are open, obviously. Thanks for the reassurances, all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.