Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
So keep having the same issue with my jets sputtering. I removed the pump top and filled it with water and then started the Filter again at the highest variable speed and all was well for a day. Then it happened again, and again this morn.

Doesn’t appear to be a not enough water in the pool issue.

What else can I check?Attached a couple vids of the jets and then the pump itself (did I not put the lid on right?).

Heading out for a few days tonight so don’t want to leave the filter on if there’s a bigger issue!

Thx

Is the pump basket full the entire time the pump is running and also when it is turned off? The video appears to show minimal air in the pump basket when the pump is running.
Do you bleed the air out of the filter pressure after you fill the pump basket and reclose it.
Also, put lube on the oring of the pump basket top.
Ensure your pump drain plugs are tight and not allowing air into the system.

I think the bleeding of the filter is the part I’m forgetting. Remind me…just twist the bleed lever until water shoots out of it?

Also, do I do the above with the pump on or off?

Last edited:
I think the bleeding of the filter is the part I’m forgetting. Remind me…just twist the bleed lever until water shoots out of it?
Best to show a photo as every mfg. Has different methods to for bleed and pressure gauge.

Okay, read up on it and seems you bleed it while the pump is running and simply bleed until water starts to come out.

Tried that but same issue, maybe I didn’t let it run enough post bleed?

Filter only shows 10 on the gauge which feels light but not sure if that’s because of the air? Was just opened and cleaned a few weeks ago.

Lastly, can I use a WD40 silicone lube spray on the lid gasket?

Okay, read up on it and seems you bleed it while the pump is running and simply bleed until water starts to come out.

Tried that but same issue, maybe I didn’t let it run enough post bleed?

Filter only shows 10 on the gauge which feels light but not sure if that’s because of the air? Was just opened and cleaned a few weeks ago.
Your process is correct. It should bleed quickly and once air is out, it fills the whole filter with water. If you go the next day and there is more air (and you did not open up the pump basket) then you have air leak on the suction side that you need to find.

Pressure in the filter is based on 2 variables. First what is the speed of the pump? A higher speed will cause the pressure to rise vs. a lower speed. So always check your filter pressure when the pump is at the same speed as your initial check. This way you can see any change in pressure.
Second, as the filter traps more debris then the pressure will increase. So if you check the pressure at the same speed and the latest reading is 25% more than the base line then you should clean the filter because it has trapped a lot of debris.

Just an update....so ended up calling my pool guy since I was away for a few days and didn't want to not run the filter/pump. Couldn't figure it out at first, but for some reason decided to check the inflow from the skimmer, and turns out there was a couple large rocks in it.

Weird. Have no idea how that would happen given the skimmer basket has always been in place.

Also, do I do the above with the pump on or off?
Air will bleed from the filer internally when the pump is running. You only really need to open that bleed valve when you are opening the filter to clean it just to be sure there is no pressure inside. Likely need to lube the the pump lid O ring, and in the picture the lid clamp is on backwards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ffs…started again last night. This is ridiculous. How the heck could their be rocks in the lines if I keep the skimmer basket in their and obviously never have rocks in the pool?

This pool has been the death of me this year. Nothing seems to work properly.

I assume to get a union off I need a tool for that as I can’t remove this by hand?

0183DC5C-6EB6-453B-A33F-99C79017C4FA.jpeg

Heck, for the life of me I can’t even get the oring off the lid and don’t want to force it (even with a plastic spluger).

I’m afraid to use a screwdriver on these tabs for fear it will crack the clear lid.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Oil filter pliers or Large Channel Lock pliers (be very careful). Strap wrench (picture) can sometimes be purchased at an auto parts store.
If you have an old belt you don't mind ruining, it can be wrapped tightly around the union, one wrap, and the ends grabbed with a pliers and removed. It is the original strap wrench.
69373_W3.jpg

Thanks, found my strap wrench. Didn’t help, got the union off but the pipe has two short 90 deg and I can’t see anything.

Could it be the filter? After priming the pump and turning on the filter to the highest speed then bleeding the air, after a couple of minutes could see the pressure building up in the pump and the water starting to rise to the lid.

Then the filter started to shake a bit and boom, the water dropped back down in the pump basket. I then checked the bleed valve again on the filter and sure enough there was air in it once again.

I’m inclined to still think it’s rocks somewhere in the pvc piping given that was the issue the first time though.

Presumably there are folks with cameras that can look into the piping if I can’t find it?

Frustrating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.