Nifty Noodle

Apr 25, 2022
Hingham, Mass.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
HI. New to pool caretaking. Just opened. Pool guy cleaned the filter and added DE. The pump runs for an hour or so at about 10 psi. then it rises to above 15 to as high as 20 psi. so I shut it down. I let it rest for an hour or so, restart and pressure holds at about 10, but then rises up to over 15 so I shut down again. Did a backwash, same result. I keep the skimmer clean. Also need to add something to kill algae. Could the algae be a cause? Advice appreciated.

Could the algae be a cause?
Yes

You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further. If you can, put your MPV on the DE filter onto recirculate when running the pump.

Looking at your Poolmath logs, with the very high CC, you may have ammonia. Get your test kit.

Yes

You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further. If you can, put your MPV on the DE filter onto recirculate when running the pump.
Please translate the abbreviations MPV?FC? What does “5ppm FC”translate to? How many ounces? Quarts?

In your pool volume, one gallon of 10% liquid chlorine will add 4 ppm FC. So add a bit over a gallon each day until you receive your test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.