LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Attached is an image of my Pentair 2HP/2SP Pump & 150sqft Cartridge Filter AGP Combination (PNCC0150OP2160) The pump and filter mount to a base that puts the pump and filter about 8" apart. That connection, pump to filter, is a rigid PVC screwed union connection on the filter side and the pump side and not a permanent glued connection. (see attached pump image). I'd rather have the return line go into the ground in front of the filter rather than the side.
I could install the pump/filter like the image. To do that I'll have to put a 90 degree elbow on the outlet of the filter and then a 45 degree fitting to bring the return line back to the front of the filter and then another 90 degree elbow into the ground. front of the filter. (Top Image, but I've forgotten to add in the 45 bringing the return line to the front of the filter before it goes into the ground)

IGNORE THE MIDDLE IMAGE

Ideally, I'd like to rotate the cartridge filter counter-clockwise 90 degrees so the inlet to the filter is to the rear, the drain is to the left and the outlet of the filter is to the front. I could use three 90 degree elbows to get the pump outlet to the inlet at the back of the filter. I'd have to cut the existing 8" pump/filter connection in half and thread it onto the pump. Then use a 90 degree elbow from there to direct the run towards the rear, another 90 degree elbow to direct the line to the back of the filter, and then one more 90 degree elbow to direct the line towards the inlet of the filter. (Bottom image)

The PVC and threaded connection out of the pump to the filter is 1-1/2". The inlet and outlet of the filter are both 2". So I would upsize the 1-1/2 line from the pump to 2". (with a 1-1/2" to 2" fitting)

Both of these solutions should work. But is one or the other better for flow from the pump to the filter?? I don't want to muck up the efficiency of the system by making changes for aesthetics.....Thanks Bob

Attachments

• Pentair_PNCC0150OP2160.jpg
    Pentair_PNCC0150OP2160.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 17
  • PUMP SET-UP.jpg
    PUMP SET-UP.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 16
You can easily do number 2 option and will hardly add any pressure if any at all.. Use the high temp unions on both sides of your pump to go from 1.5 inch thread to 2 inch slip.. Makes it very easy to pull your pump.. :)

2 of these

1 of these

C.C.:
The inlet (female thread) to the pump will accept the CMP 1.5in MIP x 2ins Slip fitting (See first Image)

The pump outlet (male thread) seems to be a much larger thread size. It comes with a union connection, (see second image) but maybe it's a proprietary connection?
Using a caliper, the gray PVC indicates it is 1-1/2" PVC pipe out of the union, so if I cut the gray pipe after the pump outlet union connection (see third image) I should be able to add a fitting to get me back to 2" to the back of the filter.

The inlet/outlet to and from the filter came with 2" unions as well and will accept 2" pipe, so they're not a problem.

Just wanted to make sure the three 90's (Sweeps) weren't going to cause a problem.

Thanks for responding....B

Attachments

• Pump inlet with union.jpg
    Pump inlet with union.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Pump Outlet.jpg
    Pump Outlet.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Pump Outlet Connected.jpg
    Pump Outlet Connected.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.