vikinglll

Feb 13, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am replaceing a very old wfds-8 whisperflo 2 hp with a newly bought intelliflo pump. I had earlier thought about replacing the backend only....however the volutes are different as my whisperflo is from prior to 1998.

My problem is that whoever set up the pump earlier did not leave any extra PVC pipe to cut and attach a new coupling. There is literally less than 1 cm between couplings all the way to the filter valve (MPV). There is one 2" slip PVC Union in between the discharge and the filter line.

Question: How does one redo the pumbling when there is no room to attach a new coupling or extra segment of PVC. Any previous ideas or experience? I thought about replacing one half of the slip union, but I am not too sure If I can buy the exact same type and brand?

Thanks very much for your time

Some pics of your pump and plumbing would be helpful to understand your situation and get some ideas.

V,

I would take all the plumbing between the Multi-port valve and the pump out and start over.. I would never, ever connect a $1000 pump without using pump unions.. You can't buy then at home depot.. They have an o-ring that prevent the leaks at the threaded connections to the pump... They look like this... https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-PACK-C...MIgvfoptWn4QIVwhx9Ch26Fg9gEAQYGiABEgIjuvD_BwE

They also make it much easier to do the plumbing..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, I am planning to take all the plumbing out. BUT my question was how to attach new plumbing to multiport valve, when there is only 1 cm of PVC attached.
p.s: I have bought the hi temp unions for the new pump.

Last edited:
When it comes to plumbing, if you can’t cut and join in right next to the “device” , you go further down the line until such opportunity exists and replace everything in between. If that makes sense. Lol. I would cut the grey pvc between check valve and inlet and add union. On output side I would replace everything from that existing union to the pump.

Thanks for the replies.

I am still lost as to HOW to attach a new PVC to the union (see picture, there is no room to cut PVC and attach).
Take out all the pipe between the pump and multiport valve - throw it away and start fresh. Use the unions that Jim linked to for connection at the pump.

You can find the unions on Amazon and several other online retailers.

Thanks for the replies.

I am still lost as to HOW to attach a new PVC to the union (see picture, there is no room to cut PVC and attach).

Folks here have described scoring PVC connector, heating it with a heat gun, and then cracking it off of the glue joint. I haven't needed to do it. You have a bunch of connectors to practice on working your way back to the multiport valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should be able to unscrew the gray pipe from the multiport and screw in a new fitting. Hopefully, it will come out without any problems, but it might not come out easily.

If the multiport is old and brittle, it might crack when you try to unscrew the fitting.

Folks here have described scoring PVC connector, heating it with a heat gun, and then cracking it off of the glue joint. I haven't needed to do it. You have a bunch of connectors to practice on working your way back to the multiport valve.

This is what I wanted to know. Essentially I wanted to know if there was a way of replumbing without undoing any of those PVC couplings.

If I have to undo one of those couplings, what is the best way (I have watched tons of Youtube videos, but I am not too sure how much damage it does to the portion you want to keep).

Will the remaining portion be good enough for high pressure and leakproof.

With JamesW's comment about an old and brittle multiport in mind: what it the measurement of the gray pipe between the multiport and the 90? There may be enough there to provide a good glue joint. If so, you could cut the gray pipe right at that 90 and replumb from there to the pump.

You could first disconnect at the present union and gently attempt to unscrew the pipe from the multiport.

With JamesW's comment about an old and brittle multiport in mind: what it the measurement of the gray pipe between the multiport and the 90? There may be enough there to provide a good glue joint. If so, you could cut the gray pipe right at that 90 and replumb from there to the pump.

You could first disconnect at the present union and gently attempt to unscrew the pipe from the multiport.

The grey pipe is about 1 inch. I thought about cutting it there and connecting a new coupling, but wasn't too sure if that would hold up to the pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.