Pump or motor replacement?

apv

Apr 30, 2019
Austin, TX
So, I have two Jandy Stealth pumps (I believe 1.5 HP each) on my pool. Both 5 years old.

The pump powering the water feature and polaris is fine. But the main pump powering the skimmers is incredibly and annoyingly loud. I had a local pool supply company come by and take a look, and recommend two options since I have a problem with the bearings:

a) purchase and install new motor only -- around $600 - comes with one year warranty

or

b) purchase and install brand new variable speed Jandy @ 2.7 HP, which comes with a three year warranty and would also allow me to use a lot less power next swimming season (since it is variable speed).

Would love any and all advice. Is it possible to purchase a used variable speed for install?

Thanks in advance.

tim5055

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
Or, if you are happy with the way things work now just pull the motor and have a local shop rebuild it.

Places like this one are what you would want.

setsailsoon

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 25, 2015
Stuart/FL
Here's another option for you : keep your pump (they can last 15 years or more with good maintenance) . Put a VS motor on it such as V-green. You can find the 1.65 hp for a little more than $400. If you install yourself it will pay out in a year or so. Even if you pay an installer it will payout in less than 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Chris

apv

Apr 30, 2019
Austin, TX
Or, if you are happy with the way things work now just pull the motor and have a local shop rebuild it.

Places like this one are what you would want.

Thanks. I called them. They don't work on pool pump motors anymore... :(