Pump or motor replacement?

apv

Apr 30, 2019
Austin, TX
So, I have two Jandy Stealth pumps (I believe 1.5 HP each) on my pool. Both 5 years old.

The pump powering the water feature and polaris is fine. But the main pump powering the skimmers is incredibly and annoyingly loud. I had a local pool supply company come by and take a look, and recommend two options since I have a problem with the bearings:

a) purchase and install new motor only -- around $600 - comes with one year warranty

or

b) purchase and install brand new variable speed Jandy @ 2.7 HP, which comes with a three year warranty and would also allow me to use a lot less power next swimming season (since it is variable speed).

Would love any and all advice. Is it possible to purchase a used variable speed for install?

Thanks in advance.

Or, if you are happy with the way things work now just pull the motor and have a local shop rebuild it.

Places like this one are what you would want.

Here's another option for you : keep your pump (they can last 15 years or more with good maintenance) . Put a VS motor on it such as V-green. You can find the 1.65 hp for a little more than $400. If you install yourself it will pay out in a year or so. Even if you pay an installer it will payout in less than 2 years.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Or, if you are happy with the way things work now just pull the motor and have a local shop rebuild it.

Places like this one are what you would want.

Thanks. I called them. They don't work on pool pump motors anymore... :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.