Pump not priming

The Pentair IntelliFlo series is considered by many here to be the gold standard of pool pumps. It's what I have (and all I know), so I can recommend that one.

It might very well align with the pipe positions of the WhisperFlo, so you shouldn't have to do much plumbing, so yes it should be a fairly simple DIY process. But... Pentair warranty lengths plummet for DIY installation. On the flip side Pentair installers charge exorbitant rates. Tough call. Sometimes the markup for a pro install can buy a second pump, which leads to the rationalization that DIY is still worth it even if the pump dies post-warranty, because you have enough money saved to buy and DIY install a second pump. So shop around, maybe get a few bids for a pro install, and do the math regarding the warranty "risk vs reward."

No, you don't need to change out anything else. I don't see automation or SWG in your signature. If you have either, then pump brand can play a bigger role in your decision.

Most here recommend that you install a new pump with pump unions, so that subsequent replacement and/or just pulling it off the pad for repairs is greatly facilitated.

A label showing 1 HP and 1.65 SF means it is a 1.65 THP system. You can replace the motor with a VS or two speed that has up to 1.65 THP. What is the motor wired as, 115V or 230V?

Your cleaner, is that a suction side cleaner?
I suspect a straight swap would be the Superflo VS pump. But you will most likely have to run at higher rpm to make the suction side cleaner work as it is now.

I just read it and it says 246. So should be 230v.
Not sure what this means. You determine which voltage by examining how the pump is wired, or more safely, by checking on its circuit breaker. Is the circuit breaker for your pump 240 or 120?

Marty has given you a fine recommendation for a replacement pump. I just want to add that if you ever think you might be interested in automation, and you go with a Pentair pump, you'll want to stick with Pentair automation. And only the IntelliFlo series allows for all the automation goodness (scheduling different RPMs for different purposes). I think there is a kludgy workaround for the SuperFlo, but it doesn't provide all the niceties of the IntelliFlo. I just wanted to give you a heads up in case that is something to consider, or something you want to research more before you buy.

Your cleaner, is that a suction side cleaner?
I suspect a straight swap would be the Superflo VS pump. But you will most likely have to run at higher rpm to make the suction side cleaner work as it is now.
Yes, suction side cleaner.

@Dirk, I meter-read it and it says 246. Label on the pump says 115/230.
I know you two both are very clear on how to change. But I am kind of clueless on how the model/type was recommended...I know there are a lot of articles online, is there any you would recommend to read?

Cause I checked Superflo and IntelliFlo and they each has various of different sub models and I don't know what 'automation' means here either. Different purposes? What other purposes other than circulating the pool? Basically need to learn more about it...

A very basic pool needs a pump and a filter. That's about it. But some folks (like me!) like to complicate their lives and indulge in "more." I have a saltwater chlorine generator for automating sanitization. I have a solar heater. I have a suction-side vacuum system. They each reduce the maintenance tasks associated with owning a pool. They each require a different flow of water, and they each need to be turned on and off each day, for different periods of time. A pool automation controller can run all of those things for you, controlling the RPMs of the pump for each component's specific need, scheduling each component to run at the proper time. It can turn your pool light on and off. It can turn your garden lights or decorative fountain on and off, etc. And automation can allow you to control all those things from a smart phone or a computer.

Automation works best when all the components being controlled are of the same brand. Pentair pump automation works best with the IntelliFlo series.

So you're on the right track. Learn more about what pool equipment is capable of nowadays, decide which of the many options you want to have, then select components that will provide what you want. You don't have to decide everything up front. You don't have to buy everything now. I introduced the notion of automation, and that some components work better with automation than others, so that you don't buy something now, unaware of such things, and later regret a purchase.

There's a lot to be said for keeping things basic and simple. Many people run their pools just so. On the flip side, I've never read here that folks regret having automation, or a variable speed pump, or a saltwater chlorine generator. These things, like all convenience appliances, make your life a little easier. A pool is a luxury. And you can now dial up or down just how luxurious it is!

Gotcha on the 246. Your label reads "115/230" because the pump can be wired for either 115 VAC or 230 VAC. Sounds like yours is wired for 230, which is good.

I can't offer a specific resource for choosing a pump, except maybe this website. Hopefully others will chime in about their recommendations. My choices were made for me by my now-ex-pool guy, before I knew anything about pools. He chose Pentair and the IntelliFlo. I've since learned I have a great pump and a not-so-great automation controller. I ended up where I am because I didn't do any research ahead of time, and just trusted the guy. I regret that now and very much recommend you continue on with your pre-purchase research, so that you end up with exactly what you want.

If you've decided to replace your pump, then technically you've resolved the original purpose of this thread. It may not be getting much attention because of its title. So you could start a new thread, with a more appropriate title for this new issue, and see if you get more attention. Like "Which pump should I buy for my pool?" or something like that. You could first determine what you want your pool to be able to do, so that people know how to respond, or you could include that topic of conversation in your new thread...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A great way to familiarize yourself with what things can and can't do is to read the owner's manual. Those are all available online, and a great resource for researching capabilities and possibilities.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.