Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
Been here long enough to search threads, ect. but cannot find anything new to try.
I had to blow out my skimmer lines due to I plugged the one closest to the pump when vacuuming thru skimmer.
99% sure line was cleared.

Now I cannot get my pump to prime.
Have tried the following....
Re-lubed the pump cover
Check all unions, drain plugs
water level is fine
poured bucks of water into pump
ran hose into pump back towards skimmers and main drain
tried using any combination of main drain, one skimmer, both skimmers
bleed air from filter as priming
bleed air from filter after priming
pump set for 9 mins of priming

Had this problem in spring when I took pump off line for repairs, but it finally primed after using the hose to skimmers.
Only thing I have not tried is running hose thru skimmers back towards pump.

At a loss what to do/try, I assume the pipes are still full of air.

Chemicals are fine
Pool is app 2-3 feet below pump and app 60 feet away

If you can, I’d close off the drain and a skimmer, or just the drain or some combination. My pool primes easier with only one water source.

A trick I do is to close the skimmer and drain valves, fill the pump basket which also fills part of the pipes, then have my wife turn the pump on at the same time as I open one valve. Gives a little more suction at the beginning.

Reactions: markayash

My guess is that you have trash wrapped around the impeller...

With the pump off, obviously, reach in and see if you can feel anything..

I also like John's ideas above..

Just because of all the stuff you have already done, if nothing else works, I would try to prime with the filter in the recirculate mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

No recicurate mode, have tried one skimmer.
Will try shutting of supplys, fill with water and get an extra hand turning on pump/opening valve.
Impeller is clear
Thanks will report back after i try again

Johns method did not work, but I got it primed.
I had to plug both skimmers (they are tied together) and from the pump side filled the pipe with water from a hose.
Turned pump on and it primed instantly. Running like a champ, no air bubbles, flow is fine.
This has to be the hardest I have ever tried to prime my pump.
Even my old single speed, with side suction leaks was never this bad,
No clue what was wrong, but guessing when I blew the lines out they completely filled with air.

If you can, I’d close off the drain and a skimmer, or just the drain or some combination. My pool primes easier with only one water source.

A trick I do is to close the skimmer and drain valves, fill the pump basket which also fills part of the pipes, then have my wife turn the pump on at the same time as I open one valve. Gives a little more suction at the beginning.
I do that also, my VS has a couple second delay so i can push on and then open the valve :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.